When we drove out to help a colleague of ours on the West End recently, his car was stuck in a deep icy rut at the bottom of his driveway. Clad in a light jacket and wearing no gloves, he was frantically trying to shovel his way down to the bottom of the tires with a small straight-handled snow shovel that might have passed for a child’s toy. (more…)
The beginning of spring brought several inches of snow along with it. (Credit: Joe Werkmeister)
The first day of spring looked an awful lot like winter. Yes, the white stuff kept falling Friday night into Saturday morning, blanketing the East End.
On social media, people captured what would (hopefully) be the last snow of the season. (more…)
Snow is expected to start falling around noon Friday. (Credit: Grant Parpan)
Friday marks the beginning of spring, but it certainly won’t feel that way on the North Fork. (more…)
Updates on school closings, delayed openings, early dismissals and event cancellations:
The National Weather Service is reporting between five to seven inches of snow accumulated on the North Fork during Thursday’s storm.
Here are the latest snowfall totals posted at 4:48 p.m.:
• Mattituck had 7 inches of snow as of 4 p.m.
• Riverhead had 6.9 inches of snow as of 3:39 p.m.
• Wading River had 6.5 inches of snow as of 3 p.m.
• Jamesport had 5.3 inches of snow as of 2:15 p.m.
Cars make their way trough a snowy downtown Riverhead Thursday afternoon. (Credit: Tim Gannon)
Riverhead Town Supervisor Sean Walter declared a winter storm emergency beginning at 9 a.m. Thursday as snow that began in the early morning hours continued to fall steadily.
Though there’s been concern about dwindling supplies, Riverhead Town received 85 tons of salt yesterday, Mr. Walter said.
“That will get us through this storm,” he said, adding the town has 700 additional tons of salt on the way.
Updates on school closings, delayed openings, early dismissals and event cancelations:
- The Riverhead Town Planning Board meeting scheduled for Thursday has been cancelled. The Planning Board meeting set for March 19 at 3 p.m. will now start at 2 p.m. instead.
- Riverhead Central School District is closed Thursday.
- Riverhead Country Day School is closed Thursday.
- Shoreham-Wading River School District is closed Thursday.
- St. David’s School in Riverhead is closed Thursday.
- St. Isidore School in Riverhead is closed Thursday.
- Bishop McGann-Mercy Diocesan High School is closed Thursday.
- Suffolk County Community College classes will resume at noon on Thursday.
Check back with riverheadnewsreview.com for up-to-date weather details.
Up to 7 inches of snow is expected overnight Wednesday into Thursday night. (Credit: Katharine Schroeder)
By the time this next round of winter weather moves out late Thursday, the East End can expect to see up to 7 more inches of snow on the ground, according to the National Weather Service.