10/20/17 9:52am
10/20/2017 9:52 AM

The lock and key from Riverhead’s first jailhouse in 1792; a photo of a 100-foot-high water tower that used to stand in Grangebel Park; a banner from Riverhead High School’s Class of 1918, which is maroon, not blue; and a photo of the Capitol Theatre on West Main Street, which existed from 1920 and, along with the Suffolk Theater, was a downtown movie theater until it was demolished in the early 1960s. READ

Featured Story
10/06/16 6:00am
10/06/2016 6:00 AM

millstone

David Lessard was driving down West Main Street one day about three years ago when he passed a house that caught his attention. Mr. Lessard, who’s always had an interest in history, had been reading a book about Riverhead Town’s past and the home seemed strikingly similar to one he’d just read about.

READ

08/29/16 12:00pm
08/29/2016 12:00 PM

Historic

The late 1800s featured a lot of change for the country — president James A. Garfield was assassinated, skyscrapers rose throughout cities, electric lighting became more prominent, the Great Blizzard immobilized the East Coast and Coca-Cola was created during Prohibition. READ

10/15/15 12:00pm
COURTESY PHOTO Mary Stackpole

Mary Hayes Stackpole. (Credit: Suffolk County Historical Society)

The daughter of Caleb and Harriet Hayes of Castle Creek in Broome County, N.Y., the future Mrs. George F. Stackpole was born March 18, 1860.

Valedictorian of her class at Oswego Normal School, she married Mr. Stackpole July 28, 1886, and started a family on Court Street in Riverhead.  READ