A Holtsville couple allegedly sold these heroin packets stamped “HIGH OCTANE” to Riverhead drug dealers. (Credit: The Suffolk County District Attorney’s office)
Suffolk County District Attorney Thomas Spota is expected to hold a press conference Wednesday announcing the indictment of a Holtsville couple accused of supplying heroin stamped with the words “HIGH OCTANE” to Riverhead drug dealers, according to a press release.
Suffolk County District Attorney Thomas Spota. (File photo by Jennifer Gustavson)
Suffolk County District Attorney Thomas Spota is expected to announce details tomorrow about an East End Drug Task Force bust involving five Riverhead men dealing heroin stamped with the word “Hollywood,” according to a press release.
Robert Love, 59, copped to second-degree criminal sale of a controlled substance, a class A felony, and third-degree conspiracy, a class D felony, during a Wednesday court appearance, records show.
Mr. Love and his alleged co-conspirators — identified by authorities as Miguel Matos, 45, and Radames “Ray” Melendez, 22, both of the Bronx — ferried more than three kilos of drugs a week on average to the East End using hidden compartments in three vehicles to transport the drugs, authorities have said.
Mr. Love received about a kilo of cocaine, worth roughly $37,000 each, every other day, said Suffolk County District Attorney Thomas Spota. He then broke the kilos into gram-sized pieces and sold them in Riverhead, Greenport, Flanders and Southampton for $50 and $60 a gram.
Authorities said the cocaine operation was one of the largest in East End history.
Mr. Love was on parole while he operated the ring, after being previously convicted of cocaine sale and possession.
He was released from prison in December 2009, but was arrested with the other two Bronx men on June 13 by Riverhead Town police.
Mr. Love tried to flee police and threw a kilo of cocaine over a fence when police arrested him at his Riverhead home, authorities said after the arrest.
The drug charge to which Mr. Love pleaded guilty carries a maximum sentence of 14 years in prison for a second-time offender, and he faces up to seven years in prison for the conspiracy charge. He will be sentenced May 24, court records show. He is currently being held at the Suffolk County jail on $1 million bond or $500,000 cash bail for sentencing.
Mr. Matos, whom officials identified as a “major player” in the drug world and the mastermind behind the operation, is being held on $2 million bond or $1 million cash bail and is due in court on April 30.
Police arrived Friday for a domestic dispute and again Saturday in response to a report of guns being seen on the property, although the guns turned out to be BB guns. No charges were filed in either of the cases.
Last Tuesday, an occupant of the Wading River-Manor Road home, Thomas Counihan, allegedly pulled a gun on officers during a probation visit before the shot was fired. He was then also found to be in possession of heroin, cocaine, marijuana and pills, according to the DA’s office. He was taken to Stony Brook Hospital for psychiatric evaluation.
Though District Attorney Thomas Spota said Mr. Counihan would face drugs and weapons charges upon his release, a DA spokesman said Wednesday that Mr. Counihan had not yet been charged. He’s since been transferred to Brunswick Hospital in Amityville.
On Friday afternoon, three days after the original incident, Riverhead police officers responded to the site when a dispute erupted involving Mr. Counihan’s daughter, Samantha, and her cousin, Mercedes Counihan, according to a police report.
The ranch-style home is owned by 85-year-old Josephine Counihan of Southampton, Thomas Counihan’s mother and grandmother of Mercedes and Samantha.
Mercedes Counihan told police she came to the house because her grandmother wanted her to make sure the home was in order, and she entered the home by breaking a window, and then got into a verbal dispute with Samantha, the report reads. Mercedes Counihan told police her grandmother said no one should be living in the home.
Samantha Counihan told police that she and her boyfriend, Charles Burrows, have lived there, along with Thomas Counihan, a long time.
The officer told them that the owner of the house would have to take action to evict Samantha, and a domestic incident report was filed, according to the report. Samantha Counihan had been present at the house late Tuesday and again on Wednesday and declined to comment to a News-Review reporter. Her cousin could not be reached for comment this week.
Then on Saturday afternoon, police were called to the property following a report that guns were being loaded into a trailer there. The responding officer was told by Samantha Counihan that the she had put BB-guns into the trailer and police could enter the trailer and check, a report reads. Police said two handgun-style BB guns and two long gun-style BB guns were found.
Police from several agencies had been at the house for about nine hours Sept. 25, and into the early morning hours of Sept. 26.
Mr. Spota, whose office oversees the drug task force, said in a statement after the shooting incident that “it is clear the police officer’s discharge of his weapon, given the circumstance, was justified.” [email protected]
Accused of engaging in sex acts with a 13-year-old boy, David Boutin of West Hempstead arrived at county court Friday dressed in a gray suit, with his mother by his side, but he left in handcuffs after Judge Barbara Kahn rejected his request for lower bail.
He did not speak in court.
Mr. Boutin, 42, is alleged to have abused the teen on two occasions in his car in the Shoreham/Wading River area earlier this year. He was arrested on Aug. 17 and pleaded not guilty to the charges Friday and was ordered jailed in lieu of $25,000 cash bail or $100,000 bond.
Mr. Boutin is a financial planner who lost his job after his arrest.
His mother declined to comment after the court proceeding.
Assistant District Attorney John Cortes said Mr. Boutin had two sexual encounters with the 13-year-old boy, and that the two met on Craigslist.
Both times, they met in a secluded location off a LIPA access road north of Route 25A in the Shoreham/Wading River area and engaged in oral sex and another act in the backseat of Mr. Boutin’s car, according to Mr. Cortes.
On April 17, a Suffolk County police officer who was searching for a stolen dirt bike came upon Mr. Boutin and the teen in the back of Mr. Boutin’s blue 2010 Toyota Corolla parked off the road, Mr. Cortes said.
Mr. Boutin was arrested and charged with two counts of second-degree criminal sexual act, which used to be called sodomy.
He also exchanged sexually explicit emails with the victim, Mr. Cortes said. The boy’s identity was concealed because of his age and the nature of the crime.
“Mr. Boutin also signed a written confession admitting that he had engaged in sexual conduct with the victim,” Mr. Cortes said afterward.
The confession was not videotaped or audiotaped, he said.
Mr. Boutin’s only previous arrest was a 1992 driving while ability impaired charge, according to Mr. Cortes.
The case went before a grand jury, which came back with an indictment that elevated the charges to three counts of second-degree criminal sexual act, which is a class D felony punishable by up to seven years in jail, as well as one count of first-degree disseminating indecent material to a minor, also a class D felony, two counts of second-degree sexual abuse, and two counts of endangering the welfare of a child.
“My client denies the allegations,” said Frank Tinari, Mr. Boutin’s attorney. “He’s married, he has a house in West Hempstead and he’s been employed as a financial planner.”
But Mr. Tinari said Mr. Boutin lost his job as a financial planner following his arrest, and has been seeking counseling with his wife.
Mr. Boutin did not testify before the grand jury, his attorney said.
He tried to get Judge Kahn to lower his client’s bond to $10,000, an amount he previously posted.
“The people have a very serious case,” Judge Kahn said in rejecting the request for lower bail.
BETH YOUNG PHOTO | Suffolk County District Attorney Thomas Spota speaks at a press conference Friday at the U.S. Coast Guard Station in Hampton Bays.
The Suffolk County East End DWI Task Force plans to expand its mission to cover Boating While Intoxicated crimes next summer, after a successful inaugural summer of DWI checkpoints on the East End.
Suffolk County District Attorney Thomas Spota announced the effort at a press conference at the U.S. Coast Guard station in Hampton Bays Friday afternoon.
“We just the other day decided the time had come when we had to do this,” said Mr. Spota, who said he had just recently been involved in the indictment of a man who killed a father of two when he was in a waterway channel going the wrong way at an excessive rate of speed. “I will deputize all the officers so they can cross local boundaries.”
Mr. Spota said the Coast Guard will also play a major role in the effort.
“All agencies will participate, even those that don’t have a boat,” he said. “We have to be as aggressive as we are on the land.”
Mr. Spota said the D.A.’s office will use the proceeds from assets seized from criminals to fund overtime expenses for local departments, as well as state grant money and fees that Suffolk County receives from people who are convicted of DWI.
“The residents of the East End will not be paying a nickel for this effort,” he said.
Mr. Spota added that the DWI Task Force checkpoints, which began Memorial Day Weekend throughout the East End and have netted numerous arrests each weekend, will continue on designated weekends through the end of this year.
Mr. Spota said he had personally spent 11 years as a homicide prosecutor consoling families who couldn’t understand how a drunk driver had ruined their family’s life.
He also thanked representatives from the East End police departments who participated in the effort, many of whom were at the press conference.
“The very worst part of policing is bearing the burden of knocking on that door to bear that terrible news,” he said.
“They say success has many fathers but failure is an orphan,” he said. “We have a lot of proud fathers here. As district attorney, I’m deeply grateful for their enthusiasm and cooperation.”
PAUL SQUIRE PHOTO | A collection of the drugs, cash, and tools seized by the East End Drug Task Force during a seven-month investigation.
A “multi-million dollar” cocaine-distribution ring, ferrying four kilos of cocaine a week using hidden compartments in vehicles traveling from New York City to Riverhead, has been busted by the East End Drug Task Force, Suffolk County District Attorney Thomas Spota said.
The investigation, which began last November and lasted until June, revealed that Robert Love, 58, of Riverhead and Miguel Matos, 45, of the Bronx were “ringleaders” of the operation, one of the largest in East End history, officials said.
Mr. Matos’ son-in-law, Radames “Ray” Melendez, 22, also of the Bronx, allegedly served as a courier in the ring, transporting drugs from New York to Mr. Love in Riverhead, before returning to New York City to be paid, according to authorities.
Mr. Melendez and Mr. Matos would meet Mr. Love in Riverhead or in western Suffolk County to transfer the drugs, officials said.
Mr. Love received about a kilo of cocaine, worth about $37,000, every other day, officials said; he would then break the kilos into gram-sized chunks and sell them in Greenport, Riverhead, Flanders and Southampton for $50 and $60 a gram.
“That amount of cocaine flowing into the East End of Suffolk County … is a tremendous amount,” Mr. Spota said, adding that he believes hundreds received cocaine through the ring’s distribution.
Mr. Matos was a “major player” in the drug trafficking world, Mr. Spota said. When police executed the search warrant on his apartment, they found a sophisticated operation featuring security cameras — some disguised as smoke alarms — watching the packaging areas and hallways to ensure Mr. Matos’ accomplices didn’t steal drugs, officials said.
Detectives retrieved thousands in cash, drugs and tools used to compress the cocaine into kilos for sale, Mr. Spota added.
East End Drug Task Force detectives seized 13 cars and discovered hidden traps used to hide powdered cocaine in three of them, officials said.
The electronic traps were opened by pressing buttons, such as the hazard light, air conditioning or windshield wiper buttons, in a specific sequence, Mr. Spota said.
The men were arrested June 13 by Riverhead Town police and were held in custody awaiting grand jury indictment, which was handed up July 26, according to court records.
Mr. Love was arrested at his home in Riverhead; he allegedly tried to flee police and threw a kilo of cocaine over a fence during the arrest.
In 2003, officials said, Mr. Love was arrested for the sale and possession of cocaine and was sentenced to 10 years in state prison. He was released in December 2009 and is currently on parole.
“He convinced the parole board that he had seen the light, that he was rehabilitated, and that light, as you can see … has quickly faded,” Mr. Spota said.
The District Attorney said Mr. Matos had no prior arrests and he was unsure specifically where he was getting his drugs from. He did say a “significant amount” of money was being transferred to the Dominican Republic as part of the cocaine ring
Mr. Love and Mr. Matos are being charged under the state’s three-year-old “kingpin statute,” which carries heavier sentences for major distributors of illegal drugs.
The two men face charges of operating as a major trafficker as a profiteer from sale, operating as a major trafficker as a profiteer from possession, first-degree criminal sale of a controlled substance, first-degree criminal possession of a controlled substance, all class A1 felonies that carry top sentences of life imprisonment. They also face a charge of second-degree conspiracy, a class B felony.
Mr. Matos was additionally charged with operating as a major trafficker as director of a controlled substance operation, a class A1 felony.
Mr. Melendez is facing charges of first-degree criminal sale of a controlled substance, first-degree criminal possession of a controlled substance and first-degree conspiracy.
The three men were scheduled to be arraigned Tuesday, but the date was postponed when one of the defendants requested a new lawyer. Mr. Matos and Mr. Melendez will be arraigned Aug. 3, while Mr. Love will be arraigned Aug. 8.
The East End Drug Task Force was formed in 1988 and it uses undercover officers from surrounding town and village police departments, along with officers from the state, county and sheriff’s departments, to investigate narcotics on the East End.
Mr. Spota thanked local police departments, like Riverhead, Southold and Southampton, for lending officers to assist in the investigation.
“I’m very, very proud of the work this task force has done,” he said. “They have done an admirable job … and I am very, very thankful to all of the departments who contribute manpower to the East End Drug Task Force.”
Mr. Spota added that he expects about “a dozen or more” arrests to be made in connection with the ring.