05/01/13 12:20pm
05/01/2013 12:20 PM
PAUL SQUIRE PHOTO | A Riverhead Town employee boarded up the Little League's storage area Sunday morning after someone broke into the building the night before.

PAUL SQUIRE PHOTO | A Riverhead Town employee boarded up the Little League’s storage area Sunday morning after someone broke into the building the night before.

Three days after someone broke into the Riverhead Little League’s concession stand and storage area, ransacked the building and made off with nearly $800 in cash and items, the concession stand has been reopened, the league’s president said.

Tony Sammartano said the concession stand was back up and running Tuesday.

COURTESY PHOTO | The doors to the Little League's concession stand and storage area were both damaged.

The doors to the Little League’s concession stand and storage area were both damaged.

“There was a bit of a shortfall, but we did [set it up again,]” he said. The money raised by concession sales pays for the Little League’s umpires, he said.

Mr. Sammartano said sponsors of the Little League had offered donations to help get the stand running again, as well as recoup some of the losses.

The concession stand was targeted Saturday night, when someone smashed in the doors of the building in Stotzky Park near the ballfields, police said.

The thieves took about $500 in cash from the building and about $250 in equipment and food was stolen, according to a police report. Three dozen baseballs and old Little League shirts were stolen from the storage area, Mr. Sammartano had said.

The Little League had kicked off opening day to its 61st season just hours before the burglary. The building had been broken into once before about two years ago, he said.

Riverhead police are investigating the break-in.

psquire@timesreview.com