Trio escapes Polish Town fire

Three people escaped uninjured from a fire that destroyed a Polish Town home on Wednesday.

Investigators believe the Lincoln Street blaze, which sparked about 10 a.m. started in the home’s attic or chimney.

The matter was still under investigation, officials said.

“I was asleep and woke up to see flames coming out of the top of the house,” said Anthony Street, who lives next door. He said he immediately evacuated his house just in case the flames spread.

Raymond Smith, 75, who owns the home, fled the house with two others, authorities said.

A pet iguana belonging to another neighbor was being kept in the back seat of a police car to keep it out of the smoke while the fire was being fought.

Firefighters from the Riverhead, Flanders, Jamesport, Wading River, Manorville and Cutchogue departments all responded.