Silk holds off Rogers in NASCAR Hall of Fame 100

The NASCAR Hall of Fame 100 at Riverhead Raceway on Saturday night turned out to be a race for the ages. Ronnie Silk of Norwalk, Conn., held off a torrid late-race charge by Tom Rogers Jr. of Patchogue to win.

Silk was involved in a shootout for the win that left fans on the edge of their seats. Over the final 10 laps of the race, which saw a late-race caution, Rogers tested Silk each and every lap, staying glued to his rear bumper. But Silk drove to his first career Riverhead Raceway victory.

“I like this place and enjoy racing here and that race for the lead was intense,” Silk said after receiving the NASCAR Hall of Fame trophy from promoters Barbara and Jim Cromarty.

Following Silk and Rogers at the finish line, in order, were Rowan Pennink of Huntington Valley, Pa., Howie Brode of East Islip and Glenn Tyler of Hampton Bays.

Mike Bologna of Huntington scored his third career late model victory in a 25-lap event. Shawn Patrick of Brightwaters earned runner-up money, Chris LaSpisa of Shirley took third.

Tommy Walkowiak of Ridge scored his second blunderbust victory of the season as well as his 40th career triumph in the class. Scott Maliszewski of Deer Park was second, and third went to Paul Parisi of Riverhead.

In legend race car racing, Johnny Gloor IV of Flanders went wire to wire to win the 20-lap main event for his first win of 2010.

ANDERSON COLLAPSES AFTER RACE Former five-time Riverhead Raceway NASCAR modified champion Wayne Anderson, 62, of Yaphank was hospitalized Saturday night after completing the NASCAR Hall of Fame 100.

After exiting his car, Anderson sat down in his enclosed trailer where he later collapsed. An ambulance rushed to Anderson’s pit stall. Anderson was taken to Peconic Bay Medical Center in Riverhead. As he entered the ambulance, he was alert and talking with his wife, Joette, and crew members.

On Sunday morning, team members reported that Anderson would be transferred to St. Frances Hospital in Nassau for further testing and diagnosis. They said the driver wanted to leave the hospital Saturday night but was advised not to.

Anderson had finished 12th in a 24-car field. The evening got off to a great start for the 1994 NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour champion when he set a fast qualifying time for the NASCAR Hall of Fame 100 with a lap of 12.017 seconds. Later, he raced for the lead with Justin Bonsignore and Rowan Pennink.