BARBARAELLEN KOCH PHOTO
A piece of Americana
Don Fisher (from left), president of The Railroad Museum of Long
Island, and Richard Gorddard, president of the Twin Forks
Chapter of the National Railway Historical Society, unveiled a
bronze plaque at the rededication of the Riverhead Railroad
One hundred years later, the Riverhead Railroad Station was rededicated Saturday.
First opened to the public on June 2, 1910, the station was constructed by a group of Irish-American bricklayers in 1909 after the aged wooden structure was demolished.
The rededication was part of the 11th Annual Riverhead Railroad Festival this weekend. The event is sponsored by the Railroad Museum of Long Island.
With renewed interest and cooperation of the LIRR, which adjusted train
schedules to facilitate the arrival and departure of County and State
Court jurists to Riverhead, the station begins another important part of
community life in Suffolk County and Riverhead Town this year.
In attendance for the rededication were Supervisor Sean Walter, Legislator Ed Romaine and Councilman John Dunleavy.
— BARBARAELLEN KOCH