A 36-year-old man was arrested on gun charges Sunday after he accidentally shot a Westhampton Beach man in the groin outside his Calverton home, authorities said.
Investigators also discovered several guns inside Ryan Rose’s Calverton Court home, where responders found the shot man lying on the front lawn about 5 p.m., Riverhead police said.
The victim, identified as Cory Whitney, also 36, was treated at the scene by Wading River firefighters and then taken to Stony Brook University Medical Center and later released, officials said.
Mr. Rose was charged with two counts of criminal possession of a weapon and reckless endangerment, police said, adding that the incident, while appearing to be “accidental in nature,” is still under investigation.
* A Bellport man was arrested last Wednesday for stealing two ATVs from Hodun Farms on Route 25, authorities said. Police charged 25-year-old Andrew Berezny with burglary and conspiracy in connection to a July 27 incident. At the time of theft, police said about $13,000 worth of equipment was stolen. The property was later recovered at a Mastic home.
* Two Riverhead men were arrested near the Peconic River last Wednesday for smoking marijuana while sitting on a park bench, police said.
Investigators said that not only were Steven Scraper, 24, and Erol Baturer, 19, both smoking marijuana cigarettes about 9:15 p.m., a bag of marijuana was found nearby. Mr. Scraper was charged with unlawful possession of marijuana and criminal possession of marijuana. Mr. Baturer was charged with criminal possession of marijuana.
* Jose Leon, 22, of Riverhead was arrested about 1 a.m. Saturday on Route 58 and charged with driving while intoxicated and multiple traffic violations, Riverhead Police said.
* Antonio Boles, 22, of Bellmore was charged last Tuesday at town police headquarters with being an unlicensed security guard. No additional information was available.
* Melody Pampiana, 36, of Riverhead was arrested about 10 a.m. last Wednesday at town police headquarters for allegedly stealing credit cards from a Jamesport woman on July 14, officials said. Ms. Pampiana is facing criminal possession of stolen property charges.
* Riverhead firefighters responded to a half dozen fires throughout the town this weekend. On Friday, firefighters extinguished two blazes, one at the 4-H camp and another that destroyed a car on Raynor Avenue in Riverhead. Two more fires were reported Saturday, one on West Main Street and a brush fire off exit 72 on the Long Island Expressway. On Sunday, firefighters put out a trash can fire on East Main Street and a mulch fire near Target on Route 58. No injuries were reported.
Those who are named in police reports have not been convicted of any crime or violation. The charges against them may later be reduced or withdrawn, or they may be found innocent.