The body of a missing 48-year-old Riverhead woman was discovered on the shore of the Long Island Sound in Northville Saturday afternoon after an apparent suicide, police said.
Riverhead Police said the woman, described as despondent and having a history of depression, was reported missing by her mother earlier that morning. The mother’s car, a gray Honda Civic that the daughter was driving, was found parked at the end of Oakleigh Avenue in Baiting Hollow about 10:30 a.m. that morning. More than 60 volunteers from local fire and police departments took part in the search, which involved a K-9 unit, helicopter and Coast Guard vessels. Investigators do not suspect foul play.
• A Wading River man was arrested Monday afternoon in connection with a string of burglaries in the hamlet, Riverhead Police said. According to police, a resident concerned over what investigators described as a rash of recent break-ins in the area reported someone acting suspiciously near Woodchuck Hollow Road in Wading River just after noon. Shortly after, officers located and arrested Corey Hartmann, 22, allegedly while he was in possession of property stolen from a home on North Woods Drive, police said. Mr. Hartmann was also responsible for other area burglaries, officials said. He was charged with four counts of second-degree burglary.
• A 30-year-old woman reported to police that she was raped on Doctors Path about 1:40 a.m. Nov. 29. The incident is still under investigation. No further details were available.
• Terain Hallback, 42, whom police described as homeless, was arrested at the Suffolk County Department of Social Services office on East Main Street in Riverhead about 10 a.m. last Thursday and charged with second-degree harassment, according to authorities. No additional information was available.
• Melody Pampena, 36, of Flanders was arrested at town police headquarters last Wednesday and charged with fourth-degree criminal possession of stolen property and third-degree identity theft. Police said the charges, which involved misuse of a credit card, stemmed from an earlier incident.
• Michele Mckee, 40, of Southampton was arrested at the Kmart on Route 58 in Riverhead about 10 a.m. Monday and charged with possession of a forged instrument, Riverhead Police said. No additional information was available.
• Someone shot a BB gun and damaged windows on several cars and a basement in Riverhead over the course of four days last week. Damaged windows were reported on a car parked on Raynor Avenue last Thursday, in the basement of a Raynor Avenue home Friday and again on cars parked on Raynor and Marcy avenues Sunday. No arrests have been made.
Those who are named in police reports have not been convicted of any crime or violation. The charges against them may later be reduced or withdrawn, or they may be found innocent.