• A 19-year-old Riverhead man was arrested early Thursday after trying to flee police during a traffic stop on East Main Street, official said. Quayshawn Kelly was driving a 2007 Saturn sedan recklessly and at a high rate of speed when an officer tried to stop the car at 3:45 a.m., police said. Mr. Kelly tried to flee the scene but was arrested a short time after.
He was charged with criminal possession of a controlled substance, unlawful fleeing, reckless driving and several traffic violations. Mr. Kelly was also wanted by Suffolk Police on an arrest warrant, police said.
• A 23-year-old Aquebogue man was arrested early Monday on third-degree rape — typically known as statutory rape — and endangering the welfare of a child charges, Riverhead Police said.
Julian Suruy was arrested just after 1 a.m. at a Sweezey Avenue home in Riverhead, police said. He was held for an appearance in Riverhead Justice Court.
No further details were available.
• Crooks pulled off an $8,450 jewelry heist at a home on Holly Tree Lane in Jamesport Monday, police said.
The burglary was reported about 12:30 a.m. No arrests were made.
• Residents of a Roanoke Avenue house in Riverhead reported about 11 a.m. Friday that someone had shattered a glass door at the house, possibly with a firearm, police said. The damage was valued at $500.
• A burglary was reported last week at a business at the Enterprise Park at Calverton.
Police said someone damaged a fence and entered the Eastern Fence company’s property sometime before 8:15 a.m. Thursday, when employees noticed missing aluminum.
• Someone swiped $1,200 cash from an unlocked desk drawer at Roanoke Avenue Health Care on Roanoke Avenue in Riverhead last Tuesday, police said. Detectives are investigating.
Those who are named in police reports have not been convicted of any crime or violation. The charges against them may later be reduced or withdrawn, or they may be found innocent.