Next 48 hours ‘critical’ for Riverhead burn victim

COURTESY PHOTO Michael Hubbard

The condition of the 14-year-old boy who was severely burned in a gel candle accident Memorial Day weekend worsened last night and his family said the next 48 hours will be critical for his recovery.

Family members were called to Stony Brook University Medical Center as doctors said Michael Hubbard’s blood pressure was dropping and they needed to perform CPR. His aunt Fran Reyer-Johnson said Michael’s heart had stopped, but his heartbeat was brought back by a defibrillator.

“Right now he’s holding his own,” Ms. Reyer-Johnson told the News-Review this morning.

The accident occurred while Michael was filling a gel citronella candle at his aunt’s Rabbit Run home in preparation of her wedding celebration. He has suffered third-degree burns over 40 percent of his body. His mother Nancy, who was also burned in the accident, has been at his hospital beside ever since.

A car wash is being held today, Friday, until 7 p.m. to benefit Michael at Jiffy Lube on Route 58. The cost is $5 for a car and $10 for an SUV.

A fundraiser at Wildwood Lanes in Northampton is set for Michael tomorrow from 5 to 8 p.m. Entrance is $20 at the door and includes three hours of bowling. Half the proceeds will benefit Michael and his mother.

Below is the blog posted by Ms. Reyer-Johnson on the website

This update is probably the hardest thing I have ever had to write. Last night we received a call from Carmen to get to the Hospital that they were doing CPR on Michael. Michael’s blood pressure dropped so drastically that he had died, but through the Grace of God they were able to use the paddles on him twice and brought him back. The hospital provided a room for us next to his room, we sat and cried, we prayed, we prayed and we prayed. The doctor did not think Michael was going to come through this. Our Family: Nancy, Carmen, Eddie, Curtis, Kris, James, Rev. & Mrs. Halpin and myself sat vigilant. We just kept praying. At 1:00 AM my sister Jeanne arrived from Dallas, Tx. She didn’t know how bad things were, she just needed to be with Nancy and me. Jeanne was determined to get here, she left Dallas at 12 noon, and 3 flights later she arrived at the hospital to be with us. Our big sister was here for her little sister.

I went with Nancy in the room, Michael’s blood pressure was 100/8, they were watching that bottom number of 8, the Doctor said if it was 50 she would be happy. So Nancy started rubbing Michael’s head, telling him that she loved him, and with all her might she told him those dreaded words “Michael it’s Mom, if your tired of fighting it’s ok to let go, you can go if you need to go, I will be ok”. And, within 1 minute of her talking to him, that number of 8, went to 9 by 3 o’clock this morning it was 35, and the doctor was shocked how fast it was coming back.

The doctor said there was  a slight improvement with the infection.

So this morning we will all be back at the hospital holding each other’s hand and praying. We already had a miracle sign that Michael is fighting now we just need some more prayers to get him through this. The next 48 hours are critical. So please continue to pray.

Michael is so strong, and fighting to stay alive, his mom, my sister is the strongest woman I know.

On behalf of the Family thank you for your prayers, and continue to Pray for the staff and Doctor’s that are vigliant in keeping Michael alive, For Nancy to be able to continue to be strong, and for Michael to not give up.

We will keep you updated on Michael’s progress throughout the day.

God Bless

Fran Reyer Johnson

Looking to comment on this article? Send us a letter to the editor instead.