House fire sparks Thursday night near Pulaski Street school

JAMES TUTHILL PHOTO | Fire damage at the Elton Street house.

A small electrical fire sparked in the walls of a two story home on Elton Place in Riverhead late Thursday, a stone’s throw from Pulaski Street Elementary School.

The Riverhead Volunteer Fire Department received a call for help around 10:50pm, officials said.

“It wasn’t very large, it took about 45 minutes to bring the fire under control.” said chief Nicholas Luparella.

The fire burned the walls of the first and second floor and left some visible damage to the outside of the house, officials said.

About 40 members of the department responded, blocking off Elton Place and controlling a crowd of onlookers as firefighters doused the flames with a hose the length of two streets to the house.

Nobody was injured, officials said.