The Internal Revenue Service offices on East Main Street in Riverhead were evacuated last Wednesday morning after what was described as a suspicious package was left outside the building, Riverhead Town Police said.

A security officer inside the building called police after finding a suitcase under an air conditioner behind the building at about 8:30 a.m., officials said. The building was evacuated as authorities investigated.

The Suffolk County Police bomb squad responded and an X-ray showed that the case contained an electronic device.

A robot was used to open the case and found clothing and “harmless items” inside, authorities said.

• A 29-year-old Riverhead man was arrested at the River Pointe apartment complex last week for having a loaded handgun, police said.

Jason Langorn of Union Avenue was nabbed at the subsidized housing complex on East Main Street by cops who found him carrying a loaded .45-caliber handgun, authorities said. Police officers responded to the complex shortly before 11 p.m. last Wednesday, after a 911 caller reported there was about to be a fight and that a gun was involved.

Mr. Langhorn was arrested shortly after police arrived on the scene and charged with second-degree criminal possession of a weapon. He pleaded not guilty at his arraignment in Town Justice Court the next day and was being held at county jail in Riverside on $100,000 bail, police said.

• A mini-vandalism spree in the Jamesport area left two cars and a street sign damaged, a bench tossed onto a roadway and decorative bunting ripped from a 6th Street house, according to Riverhead Police reports.

Two cars were discovered with broken windshields just after sunrise Saturday. Both were parked overnight at the Jamesport Community Center. The damaged street sign and bench were also discovered nearby on South Jamesport Avenue.

About an hour later the decorative bunting was discovered tossed to the ground after eight zip ties that were holding it in place were cut. Police are theorizing that school children are to blame.

The homeowner could not be reached for comment. No arrests were made.

• A 64-year-old convenience store clerk was arrested last week for selling alcohol to a minor at an Aquebogue store, Riverhead Police said.

Gurdogan Gunacar was charged with first-degree unlawfully dealing with a child after arrest last Thursday at Superior Gas at 640 Main Road, police said. Acting on tips that Mr. Gunacar had sold alcohol to someone under 21, police investigated the clerk and took him into custody. He was released without bail, officials said.

Local authorities have notified the New York State Liquor Authority.

• Police arrested a 20-year-old Riverhead man for allegedly driving drunk and fleeing the scene of a two-car crash early Friday in Riverhead.

Gustavo Aliva was found a short time after fleeing the 6 a.m. crash scene at Route 58 and Osprey Avenue, police said.

He was charged with driving while intoxicated and leaving the scene of an accident. No injuries were reported.

• Police removed four “medium-sized” potted marijuana plants from the yard of a boarded-up Riverhead house on Friday, according to police reports. The plants, which were taken to police headquarters and later destroyed, were in open view outside the Ostrander Avenue property, police said. No criminal charges were filed.

• Arielle Alexander, 20, was arrested Friday and charged at town police headquarters with two counts of grand larceny in relation to a prior incident at Tanger Outlets in Riverhead, authorities said.

She was processed and held on $1,000 bail. No other information was available from police.