Update: Michael’s aunt Fran Reyer-Johnson said today he said his first word since the accident today which was, “yeah.” Ms. Reyer-Johnson said she is waiting to hear further reports.
Riverhead’s Michael Hubbard and his mom Nancy Reyer were featured on News12 Westchester last week during a report on a new wing at Blythedale Children’s Hospital where Michael is being treated.
Michael, who was severely burned in a gel candle accident at his aunt’s home in Riverhead May 28, was deprived of oxygen during the incident and suffered brain damage.
Michael was moved to the hospital in Valhalla, N.Y. after four months at Stony Brook University Medical Center. The hospital recently unveiled a new $65 million dollar state-of-the-art wing that will allow it to better accommodate its growing patient population.
Michael and his mother appear about one minute and 29 seconds into the video.
“With me staying here, it is a wonderful thing because I have my privacy now,” Ms. Reyer said during the segment. “I’m with my son…We’ll both be well.”
Ms. Reyer posts daily updates on Michael’s progress on her blog at Caringbridge.org.