Riverhead Blotter: Man arrested for stealing safe from home in Wading River


A Ridge man was arrested last Thursday and charged with stealing a safe from a Wading River home last year, according to Riverhead Town police reports

Sean Buckman, 22, was arrested Feb. 2 at his girlfriend’s house in Coram and charged with second-degree burglary, police said.

He’s accused of entering a home on Karen Court through an unknown door, breaking down numerous doors and removing a safe, which was later recovered by Suffolk County police. He was being held at the county jail in Riverside.

Police offered a $5,000 reward for information leading to Mr. Buckman’s arrest in December.

• Two East Hampton teens were arrested and charged with grand larceny last Wednesday after police said they attempted to steal a dog from an Aquebogue pet shop. Jasmine Stephens, 19, and Lindsay Newman, 17, entered the Puppy Experience on Main Road Feb. 1 and took a dog worth $2,500 from the store without paying, police said. The two fled in a vehicle, heading west on Main Road, and were stopped by the store’s owner and an employee on Osborn Avenue until police arrived. Both teens were charged with fourth-degree grand larceny, processed, and released on $50 bail. The dog was returned to the store by police.

• A minivan was stolen from the Peconic Bay Medical Center parking lot last Thursday, according to police reports. A 2001 white Ford Windstar valued at $6,000 was removed from the property by an unknown suspect, police said. The owner of the vehicle said the van was locked and the keys were not in the ignition. Detectives are still investigating the incident.

• Seven watches were stolen from a store at Tanger Outlets Saturday by two unknown men, police said. A store employee said the two men entered the store and grabbed the watches, worth $2,800 in total, from a display case before fleeing in an unknown silver vehicle. One of the suspects was described as 5 feet, 10 inches tall and about 25 years old. The other man, about 5 feet, 3 inches tall and heavy-set, was wearing a black jacket with a diamond stud earring in his left ear. Police said there was no video surveillance of the incident, and detectives are investigating.

Those who are named in police reports have not been convicted of any crime or violation. The charges against them may later be reduced or withdrawn, or they may be found innocent.