Anthony John Feola

Anthony John “Tony” Feola, who always said the Japanese surrendered in fear after he enlisted in the Navy in the summer of 1945, passed away March 6 after a short illness, surrounded by family at his home in Riverhead. He was 84.

After his short stint as a seaman, Tony worked as a diesel mechanic, then entered the home-building trades, soon becoming a master floor layer. He found the business side of construction more interesting, however, and founded two companies. Twilight Homes and Legend Estates built hundreds of residences in Deer Park, Brookhaven and surrounding Long Island towns during the ’60s, ’70s and ’80s, most of which are still home to Long Islanders today.

Tony always had a fierce interest in flying. He earned a private pilot’s license, reconditioned a biplane, then went through a series of single-wing planes, culminating in a Navion. As his family grew he gave up direct ownership of planes, but continued to fly rentals and trainers into his 80s.

He never lost his fascination for the sea. He taught generations of children to fish and built a house on Smith Creek in Hampton Bays. He spent the ’70s and ’80s prowling Shinnecock Bay in a 15-foot open skiff he dubbed “El Tub” as the scourge of fluke, flounder and porgies.

More than planes, boats and fish, he loved Sarafina Intreglia. They married Jan. 25, 1958, and celebrated their 55th anniversary this year. Their daughter, Catherine Susan Moylan (née Feola), died in 1996 of cancer at the age of 35.

Tony Feola was born July 24, 1928, in Maspeth, Queens, the third child and first son of John and Margaret Feola. He is survived by his wife, Sarafina, and his son, Christopher John Anthony Feola. Tony also has six grandchildren: Lauren Anne Sheldon, William Anthony “Tony” Moylan, Kristin Marie Feola, KateLynn Marigrace Feola, Jennifer Tanner and Kyle Christopher Feola; and four great-grandchildren: Avery Sheldon, HayleySue Sheldon, Zoey Moylan and Chase Tanner.

Tony Feola was laid to rest at a private family cemetery. The family asks that donations in his name be made to East End Hospice, which brought so much comfort to Tony and Catherine in their final days.

This is a paid notice.