Riverhead firefighters made quick work of a fire in a Tanger Outlet Center store Tuesday night after a heating motor caught fire, officials said.
A motor belt in the heating unit at the Bath and Body Works store caught fire about 7:40 p.m., filling the store with smoke, said third assistant chief Pete Jackman.
Riverhead firefighters and police arrived at the scene and evacuated the store while fire officials investigated where the smoke was coming from. The fire was eventually put out and firefighters used a fan to air out the smoke in the store.
By 8:15 p.m., firefighters had removed the smoke and had left the scene.