Riverhead men charged after home invasion on Horton Avenue

BARBARAELLEN KOCH FILE PHOTO | A burglary suspect was arrested at the Budget Host Inn in RIverside this morning.

Two Riverhead men were arrested after they stole a television during a break-in on Horton Avenue early Sunday and tried to flee police, Riverhead Town police said.

A Horton Avenue resident told police a man kicked down the door to his house about 4 a.m., waking the resident and his mother. The resident struggled with the burglar but was knocked down, giving the intruder time to take a television from the house and run, police said.

The robber and another man drove away from the scene in a Hampton Town Taxi, the resident told police.

Riverhead police officers on patrol found the taxi driving on Flanders Road in Riverside. They pulled over the taxi and arrested the driver, 28-year-old Howard Ferebee Jr. But the passenger, 20-year-old Tremel Kelly, ran from the car and fled the area, leading police on a foot chase to the Budget Host Inn in Riverside.

A police K9 unit eventually found Mr. Kelly hiding in a room at the motel and arrested him.

This was not the first time Mr. Kelly was arrested for running from police. He was arrested last year after he led police on a car chase through Southampton and Riverhead towns, according to a police report.

Last April, Mr. Kelly allegedly stole a car in Southampton then drove north into Riverhead to escape police. Mr. Kelly then fled his vehicle on foot near the Millbrook Gables neighborhood in Riverhead, police said.

Police searched the area for more than five hours, eventually catching Mr. Kelly at 4 p.m, police said.

He was charged with fourth-degree grand larceny, resisting arrest for that incident, police said.

He had also been arrested in 2011 as part of a cocaine, cash counterfeiting and weapons trafficking ring and was allegedly connected with the “Bloods” gang, according to Suffolk County District Attorney Thomas Spota.

Both Mr. Ferebee and Mr. Kelly were charged with second-degree burglary and robbery, police said. Mr. Kelly was also charged with third-degree criminal mischief while Mr. Ferebee faces a fourth-degree criminal facilitation charge.

Both men involved in Sunday’s incident are being held on $50,000 bail. They both requested legal aid and are due back in court Monday.

[email protected]