Bail lowered for Riverhead robbery suspect

Tremel Kelly (left) and Howard Ferebee
Tremel Kelly (left) and Howard Ferebee

Bail has been lowered for one of two Riverhead men accused of breaking into a Horton Avenue mobile home and ripping a television off the wall early Sunday.

Tremel Kelly, 20, and Howard Ferebee, 28, made their second appearance in Riverhead Town Justice Court Monday morning.

Both men are facing felony robbery and burglary charges after authorities say they stole a 32-inch television from the Riverhead home at about 4 a.m.

Mr. Kelly allegedly kicked in the front door of the house, waking resident Melanie Carter and her adult son, Ms. Carter said.

Mr. Kelly then ripped the television out of the home, damaging the entertainment center and the wires connected to it, she told a reporter.

“They snatched it right out,” Ms. Carter said.

After Mr. Kelly ran from the home, he got into a fight with Ms. Carter’s son in their driveway, according to a criminal complaint filed in town court.

Mr. Kelly, dressed in a green county jail jumpsuit, was led into the courtroom just before noon on Monday.

He had told the court he’s been homeless for the past two months and has never had a job.

The 20-year-old has a history of criminal convictions, including one felony, three misdemeanors and one adjudicated case, court officials said. He has also failed to appear in court twice and has had his probation revoked two times.

As Judge Allen Smith and Mr. Kelly’s lawyer spoke during his court appearance, Mr. Kelly said, “I had nothing to do with this.”

The judge warned the defendant not to speak, as anything he said would be transcribed into the record.

“Can I make a statement?” Mr. Kelly asked, despite his lawyer’s advice not to.

Mr. Smith told him he would not allow him to make a statement against the advice of his counsel. Mr. Kelly turned back to the audience and shook his head in frustration.

Mr. Kelly’s bail was kept at $50,000 bail.

Mr. Ferebee, the taxi driver who allegedly dropped Mr. Kelly off at the mobile home, was waiting nearby as Mr. Kelly fought with the son and stuffed the television into the taxi, according to the complaint. The two suspects fled the scene and were later caught on Flanders Road by Riverhead patrol officers, police said.

Mr. Kelly ran from the car and led the officers on a chase into the Budget Host Inn in Riverside, police said. A K-9 unit was called and police found Mr. Kelly hiding in one of the hotel’s rooms, officials said.

In court Monday, an attorney for Mr. Ferebee said his client, who works as a taxi driver and also works for an East Hampton moving company, has an 8-year-old daughter he must care for.

Mr. Ferebee had a prior felony conviction for second-degree assault, court officials said. Additional information about that incident was not immediately available.

The judge lowered Mr. Ferebee’s bail to $10,000 cash.

Mr. Ferebee is due back in court on Friday, while Mr. Kelly’s next court date is May 20.

Mr. Kelly is also charged with third- and fourth-degree criminal mischief for damage caused to the victim’s home.

Mr. Ferebee is also charged with fourth-degree criminal facilitation, a misdemeanor.

A grand jury is reviewing the case, court officials said.

[email protected]