Driver in alleged home invasion shot up parking lot in ’05


The Riverhead cabbie police say was the getaway driver in a recent home invasion served six years in state prison for shooting up a Dunkin’ Donuts parking lot in town, injuring one man in 2005, records show.

He was released in 2010 but was returned to prison for a parole violation last year, before his final release last July, officials said.

In the recent arrest, Howard Ferebee Jr., 28, was charged with burglary, robbery and criminal facilitation after his 4 a.m. Sunday arrest, Riverhead police said.

He’s accused of driving an accomplice, 20-year-old Tremel Kelly, to a Horton Avenue mobile home and standing by while Mr. Kelly broke into the home, ripped a TV from the wall and fought with a resident, police said.

He and Ms. Kelly were later caught on Flanders Road.

Mr. Ferebee was living in Northampton when he shot a 29-year-old Calverton man twice in a Riverhead Dunkin’ Donuts parking lot on June 11, 2005, according to News-Review newspaper archives.

The then 20-year-old Mr. Ferebee showed up at the parking lot about 12:15 p.m. that Saturday with a loaded gun looking for a man he had previously gotten into a fight with, police said at the time.

Mr. Ferebee fired the weapon numerous times in the parking lot, hitting the victim in the right hand and left forearm, according to the report.

Two other cars in the parking lot were peppered with bullets as well, police had said.

The shooting victim was taken to what was then called Central Suffolk Hospital for treatment and later released.

Mr. Ferebee was arrested several hours later at his Pine Court house after several people targeted in the shooting identified him as the shooter.

He was eventually convicted of second-degree attempted assault, first-degree reckless endangerment and second-degree criminal mischief, all felonies, according to online state prison records.

Mr. Ferebee’s lawyer, Brian Hughes of Southold, was unable to be reached for comment Tuesday.

State records show he served nearly four years in Downstate Correctional Facility in Fishkill, N.Y. before his initial February 2010 release.

He’s now being held at Suffolk County jail on $10,000 cash bail after his most recent arrest and is due back in Riverhead Justice Court on Friday, court officials said.

[email protected]