Riverhead teen arrested in relation to gunpoint robbery

Screen shot 2013-12-11 at 11.55.18 PM

Editor’s Note: The felony robbery charge against Mr. Williams was dropped on June 11, 2014.

A Riverhead teenager already arrested on robbery charges three times in the past was arrested once again in relation to a robbery on Wednesday, when police say he – along with another man and woman – robbed a man at gunpoint on Delores Avenue shortly after 4 p.m., sending nearby Riverhead schools into lockdown.

According to police, 18-year-old Julian Williams was arrested on a felony charge of first-degree robbery. Authorities said that an officer in the area was approached by the victim of the robbery soon after it occurred. Police then alerted area patrols and with the help of New York State Police, conducted a search of the area for any suspected to be involved in the incident.

Police said that Mr. Williams was spotted a short time later and arrested. His home on Osborn Avenue was searched by authorities; the guns allegedly used in the robbery were found nearby, police said.

Riverhead schools Superintendent Nancy Carney said the district received a warning from police about 4:30 p.m. to go into lockdown at Riverhead High School, Riverhead Middle School and Pulaski Street school. Though the school day had already ended, some students and faculty were still at the buildings for after-school activities, Ms. Carney said.

Police kept in contact with the schools during the lockdown and at 5 p.m. police chief David Hegermiller called to give the all clear, she said. A police officer was stationed at the school as students were dismissed, she said.

We appreciate the support and communication of the Riverhead Police Department in in this matter,” she wrote in an emailed statement. “I thank Chief Hegemiller for his direct and swift communication with me. I also thank Mr. Henderson and all our staff for their efforts in handling this situation.”

Wednesday’s reported robbery is not Mr. Williams’ first run-in with the law; the teenager was arrested in relation to a downtown robbery in August 2011, and in December of the same year in another incident.

Most recently, online court records show that Williams was charged with second-degree robbery in relation to an incident that occurred on July 9. He had been held on $15,000 cash bail through mid-August, when he was reportedly released on his own recognizance. He was supposed to be due back in court on Wednesday.

Police said additional arrests are expected in the case, which is considered ongoing. Mr. Williams is due to be arraigned in court on Thursday.

Correction: An earlier version of this story cited police as saying the guns used in the alleged robbery were found in Mr. Williams house. They were found in the “area” near the home, police said.