Southampton Blotter: Robber with BB gun mugs man in Flanders

A victim of an attempted mugging last week had his cellphone and wallet stolen after struggling with a robber, according to a Southampton Town police report.

The victim told police that as he was walking down Oak Avenue near McKinley Street Saturday about 7:15 p.m., a man got out of a vehicle and pulled out a black pistol BB gun, according to the report.

The robber demanded valuables, but the victim wrestled the BB gun away from the man. As the two struggled, a second man got out of the vehicle and took the victim’s Google Nexus 5 phone and wallet from his pocket.

The men got back into the vehicle and drove off. The victim walked to his house and called police. No arrests were reported by police.

• A Riverhead man without a license was busted on a drunken-driving charge after he was stopped in Riverside last Tuesday, police said.

Manuel Contrera Calderon, 24, was pulled over on Vail Avenue after an officer saw him make a left turn without signaling, according to a police report.

Mr. Contrera Calderon was found to be intoxicated and charged with DWI and several traffic violations for failing to signal, driving without a license and driving an unregistered vehicle.

• A Flanders man was arrested and charged with driving under the influence of drugs and drugs possession after he was seen driving out of his lane on Flanders Road in Riverside Saturday, police said.

Christopher Andrews, 53, was stopped about 8:30 p.m. by police, according to a police report. Mr. Andrews “appeared to be under [the] influence of drugs” and failed a field sobriety test, the police report states.

He was also caught with two medications without prescriptions, police said.

• A Riverhead woman was charged with DWI when she was arrested for allegedly driving drunk and refusing to take a breath test in Riverside last week, police said.

Christi Findlay, 30, was stopped on Flanders Road about 3:40 a.m. last Wednesday for failing to stay in her lane, police said. She was found to be intoxicated but did not consent to a breath test, according to a police report. She was charged with aggravated DWI.

• A Riverhead man was hospitalized after he was attacked by two other men early on New Year’s Day, police said.

The victim told police that two men punched him in the head and face about 5 a.m., according to a police report. He suffered a split lip, broken teeth, two black eyes and “extensive” scrapes on his face.

He was taken to Peconic Bay Medical Center for treatment; police said the case is still pending.

No further information was available.

SouthamptonPD HQ4 - 500