From gymnastics to lacrosse, Shoreham-Wading River was well represented during the early signing period.
Eleven students signed letters of intent to continue their athletic careers in college next year, highlighted by three students signing to major Division I programs.
Lauren Daly, a goalkeeper on the lacrosse team, signed with Boston College. Daly will be entering her fifth season as the starting goalkeeper for Shoreham this spring. She helped the Wildcats to a state championship in 2012 as a freshman.
Ryan Bray, an attackman/midfielder, was one of the leaders in Suffolk County for points as a sophomore two seasons ago during the Wildcats’ run to a Long Island title. Bray had originally been reported to be committed to Ohio State, but ultimately chose Cornell University.
James Szymanski signed with the University of North Carolina for wrestling. Szymanski post a 47-3 record last year while winning a a league title. A third-place finish in the county tournament left him as an alternate for the state meet and he was ultimately left a bystander, despite the outstanding record. Szymanski will open this season ranked second in the county in his weight behind three-time state champion Nick Piccininni of Ward Melville.
The rest of the signees for Shoreham were:
- Alex Hutchins, LIU Post, softball
- Madison Dwyer, William & Mary, gymnastics
- Emily DeGennaro, Sacred Heart, field hockey
- Caitlin Mirabell, Assumption, softball
- Manuela Cortes, West Point, lacrosse
- Christian Clarkin, Alderson Broaddus, lacrosse
- Steven Weindler, Seton Hill, lacrosse
- Jack Zukowski, Mount St. Mary’s, lacrosse