Attempted rape charge to be dropped in Northampton incident


Felony charges including attempted rape and criminal possession of a weapon against a 30-year-old Wading River man are set to be dismissed, following an “extensive” follow-up investigation into the incident, prosecutors revealed Monday.

Southampton Town police arrested Richard Rause, 30, for allegedly attacking a 30-year-old woman near a lake at the Wildwood Town Park located at on Lake Ave in Northampton about 2:15 p.m. Jan. 14.

Police said at the time that Mr. Rause had held a gun to the woman’s head, punching and hitting her before attempting to rape her. The unidentified 30-year-old victim was able to “fight her assailant off” and called 911, according to a press release.

After being handcuffed and placed in a police car during his initial arrest, Mr. Rause exited the vehicle and attempted to escape, but was “apprehended a few seconds later after a brief struggle,” according to the release.

During court Monday, Mr. Rause’s defense attorney Daniel Rodgers of Southampton said, “there was a great deal of misinformation,” in the case, where Justice Andrea Schiavoni released Mr. Rodgers on his own recognizance.

He had been held at Riverside jail in lieu of $50,000 cash or $150,000 bond since Jan. 16, according to prior news coverage.

Prosecutors with the district attorney’s office have presented Mr. Rause with plea deal that, once finalized, will dismiss charges of first-degree attempted rape and third-degree criminal possession of a weapon, instead charging him with misdemeanor assault and a sentence of probation, Mr. Rodgers told the News-Review.

“This was nothing more than a shoving match,” Mr. Rodgers said following court.

Prosecutors said they are still working to prepare the paperwork for that deal, but agreed to releasing Mr. Rause. He is due back in Southampton town court Feb. 17.

The name of the woman involved in the incident has not been released and additional information was not immediately available.

Mr. Rause, dressed in a green jumpsuit, hands cuffed in front of him, looked relieved as he shook his attorney’s hand after hearing he was scheduled to be released.

He is also set to take a plea deal in Riverhead Justice Court, where he is charged with felony escape in the second degree in connection with the case, to be downgraded to a misdemeanor escape change, Mr. Rodgers said.

He is expected to plead guilty to the misdemeanor charge about 2 p.m. Monday and be released on his own recognizance in regards to that new charge, Mr. Rodgers said.

“He should be back with his family by dinnertime,” he said.