Featured Story

Cops: Flanders man charged with beating pregnant girlfriend


A Flanders man has been charged with assaulting his pregnant girlfriend, causing her to undergo an emergency delivery and face life-threatening injuries, Southampton Town police said.

Mohammed Proctor, 38, a convicted drug dealer who was released from prison in 2012 following his lawsuit against the Southampton Town Police Department, was arrested Tuesday after his girlfriend, who was 7-months pregnant, arrived at Peconic Bay Medical Center with extensive injuries, officials said.

The victim described Mr. Proctor as “drunk” and said he hit her head and stomach, choked her and pushed her down the stairs, according to a law enforcement official.

The woman was rushed into surgery where the child was delivered and transported to Stony Brook University Hospital, officials said.

The baby girl is listed in critical condition and her mother is listed in serious condition, police said.

During the investigation, police found Mr. Proctor hiding in his Flanders home with his 19-month-old son, officials said, adding the child was found unharmed.

Mr. Proctor was arrested and charged with first-degree assault and strangulation, police said.

Bob Clifford, a spokesman for Suffolk County District Attorney Tom Spota, said in an email Wednesday an order of protection was granted for the mother and two children against Mr. Proctor.

He was arraigned in Southampton Justice Court and remanded to Suffolk County Jail in Riverside without bail, police said.

Anyone with information about the incident is asked to contact the Southampton Town Detectives at 631-702-2230.

Mr. Proctor was one of two convicted drug dealers released from prison in 2012 following Suffolk County District Attorney Thomas Spota’s investigation into the “credibility” of a Southampton Town police officer involved in the cases.

He was also the same man who filed a $50 million lawsuit against Southampton cops, alleging officers had illegally conducted a body cavity search and “threatened his son’s freedom” in order to get him to sign a false statement.

Newsday reported Monday that the civil suit was later dismissed.

[email protected]

Photo mug: Mohammed Proctor. (Credit: Southampton Town police)