Mohammed Proctor, a 38-year-old convicted drug dealer who allegedly assaulted his pregnant girlfriend earlier this month and caused the woman to need emergency surgery to save the baby, was held on $150,000 cash bail or $300,000 bond after his arraignment in the Suffolk County Court Thursday morning.
Mr. Proctor, a Flanders resident, pleaded not guilty before State Supreme Court Justice Mark Cohen to all charges — which include two felonies for assault, four misdemeanors for assault and choking and two misdemeanors for endangering the welfare of a child.
In addition to the bail, an order of protection has been filed against Mr. Proctor on behalf of his girlfriend or his two children.
Southampton Town police arrested Mr. Proctor Aug. 4 after he attacked his girlfriend, who was seven months pregnant with his child, authorities said. Mr. Proctor was drunk when he hit the victim’s head and stomach, choked her and pushed her down the stairs, according to a law enforcement official.
The woman was rushed to the hospital where she gave birth to a premature baby girl. The infant is still receiving care at Stony Brook University hospital, the DA said.
At the arraignment Thursday, prosecutor Shauna Kerr said Mr. Proctor’s girlfriend had to have her spleen and appendix removed and had two broken ribs. Their infant daughter has had seizure activity caused by the placenta detaching during the abuse, which caused stress and a lack of oxygen for the baby.
Police allegedly found Mr. Proctor hiding in his Flanders home with his 19-month-old son; the child was unharmed.
Ms. Kerr said due to Mr. Proctors “serious criminal history,” which includes drug, harassment, and possession of stolen property charges, Ms. Kerr asked for the bail as it was set. Defense attorney John Halverson reserved the right to negotiate bail at a later date.
Mr. Proctor’s case will go in front of the judge again on Sept. 30.
Mr. Proctor was one of two convicted drug dealers released from prison in 2012 following an investigation into the “credibility” of a Southampton Town police officer involved in the cases. He also filed a $50 million lawsuit against Southampton cops, alleging officers had illegally conducted a body cavity search and “threatened his son’s freedom” in order to get him to sign a false statement.
The civil suit was later dismissed, according to a Newsday report.