A Riverhead man was arrested in Flanders Friday on a drunk driving charge after falling asleep at the wheel, Southampton Town police said.
An officer spotted Alvaro Gonzalez, 51, sleeping behind the wheel of a car on Route 24, at the traffic signal for Route 105, around 8 p.m. The vehicle was in drive and his right foot was on the brake, police said.
The officer put the vehicle in park and checked to see if Mr. Gonzalez was all right. The officer then smelled alcohol on his breath and observed that Mr. Gonzalez had bloodshot, glassy eyes and was unsteady when exiting the car. Mr. Gonzalez failed field sobriety tests, police said.
Mr. Gonzalez was charged with aggravated driving while intoxicated, a misdemeanor, as well as obstructing traffic at an intersection and driving without a license, both violations, police said.
• A 33-year-old Flanders man was arrested there Saturday on charges of driving without a license, police said.
Henry Leon was stopped for a traffic infraction on Royal Avenue at around 11:55 a.m. A DMV check revealed that his driver’s license had been suspended for an alcohol-related incident, police said. Further investigation revealed that Mr. Leon had an active warrant for failure to pay a fine, police said.
He was charged with aggravated unlicensed operation, a misdemeanor, and three violations: driving without a license, failure to pay a fine and driving without a proper restraint system for a child, police said.
• A Selden man was arrested last Thursday in Riverside on charges of driving without a license, police said.
Oscar Jacobs, 28, was involved in a motor vehicle accident on Flanders Road around 3:45 a.m. He was charged with third-degree aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle, a misdemeanor, police said.
• A Riverhead man was arrested Friday on charges of driving without a license in Quogue, police said.
Victor Hernandez, 31, was stopped around 1:40 p.m. on South Country Road for following the vehicle in front of him too closely. During a DMV check he was found to have a suspended license, officials said.
He was charged with third-degree aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle, a misdemeanor, police said.
• A Flanders man was arrested last Wednesday on charges of driving without a license in Riverside, police said.
Milton Pastrana, 23, was stopped for traffic violations around 2:40 a.m. at the Peconic Avenue traffic circle and he was found to have a suspended license, police said.
He was charged with third-degree aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle, a misdemeanor, officials said.
• A man’s car was stolen last Wednesday at around 8 p.m. after he left it running while he went into the Hampton Deli in Flanders. No arrest has been made, police said.