Riverhead police have closed five streets across town Saturday night as biting wind sweep snow and ice over the roads.
The affected roads — which are closed until further notice — are:
• Edwards Avenue from Village Green to Riley Avenue
• Roanoke Avenue from Reeves Avenue to Sound Avenue.
• Hulse Landing Road from Route 25A to Sunwood Drive
• Horton Avenue from Reeves Avenue to Sound Avenue
• Twomey Avenue from Youngs Avenue to Sound Avenue
Police said no major accidents have been reported yet, though a couple of cars have slid into snow banks.
The National Weather Service has issued a Wind Chill Advisory, warning that the wind chill could feel as cold as 23 below zero.