Featured Story

Southampton blotter: Late-night assault on Flanders Road

Southampton Town police arrested a West Babylon man on a drug charge in Flanders on Sunday. 

Darnell Giles, 49, was reportedly stopped at around 2:25 a.m. on Evergreen Road for failing to stay in his lane. While speaking to police he allegedly threw a crack pipe, with crack inside, out of the front passenger-side window. He also had an open 25-ounce Bud Light Platinum inside the car, officials said.

He was charged with seventh-degree criminal possession of a controlled substance, a misdemeanor, and drinking alcohol in a motor vehicle on a highway and littering, both violations.

• An Amagansett man was arrested Sunday in Riverside after he failed to appear in court.

Norbey Garcia, 52, was allegedly about to urinate near the corner of Ludlam Avenue and Brown Street at around 1:05 a.m. when he was stopped by police. While conducting an investigation, police reportedly learned that his license had been suspended for failing to appear in court.

He was charged with third-degree aggravated unlicensed operation, a misdemeanor.

• A 28-year-old woman was arrested last Thursday for driving with a suspended license in Riverside.

Latesha Nash of Riverhead was stopped on Ludlam Avenue at around 5:30 p.m. for multiple traffic violations, officials said. During the stop, police learned that her license was suspended. She was arrested and her car was impounded, police said.

She was charged with second-degree aggravated unlicensed operation, a misdemeanor, and numerous traffic violations.

• Police arrested a 20-year-old man for driving with a suspended license in Flanders last Thursday.

Timothy Elder, whose address wasn’t released, was reportedly pulled over after he failed to stop at the stop sign on the corner of Oak Avenue and Polk Street at around 10:50 p.m. He was then found to have a suspended license, officials said.

He was charged with third-degree aggravated unlicensed operation.

• A man was assaulted walking down Flanders Road in between Hampton Deli and 7-Eleven in Flanders at around 2 a.m. Saturday. Two unknown men confronted the victim and allegedly punched him in the face, causing him to fall to the ground and his nose to bleed.

The victim was taken to Peconic Bay Medical Center for his injury, officials said. Police arrived on scene and reportedly checked the area but were unable to find the two suspects.

Editor’s note: Those who are named in police reports have not been convicted of any crime or violation. The charges against them may later be reduced or withdrawn, or they may be found innocent.