Update: Two suspects charged in Riverhead killing remanded without bail

Update (11:30 a.m.): Two suspects charged with second-degree murder were remanded without bail during brief court appearances Thursday morning. (See updated story here.)

Alcides Lopez-Cambara, 40, and Tyara Lemus, 18, both entered pleas of not guilty at their arraignments before Riverhead Judge Lori Hulse.

Neither the assistant district attorney nor the defendant’s attorneys shed any light on the killing during the arraignment.

They are both due to appear in court again Dec. 15 in what would be a virtual court appearance.

Attorney Austin Manghan of Riverhead, who represented Ms. Lemus, requested that the Dec. 15 date be for paperwork.

“I anticipate that there will be a handup on that date, so I’m not looking for her to appear on that date,” he said, since the case will eventually be transferred to county court due to the felony charge. A grand jury indictment would then be used to bring the case to county court.

While both defendants appeared before the judge in person at Riverhead Town Justice Court, part of the proceeding was done virtually. Mr. Manghan and the assistant district attorney, Daryl Levy, both participated virtually.

Mr. Lopez-Cambara was represented by attorney John Halverson of Patchogue.

Mr. Halverson said he intended to make a bail application at some point.

Original Story: A Hampton Bays man and woman were arrested Wednesday in the murder of a Sag Harbor man in Riverhead last month.

Alcides Lopez-Cambara, 40, and Tyara Lemus, 18, both of Allomara Road, were charged with second-degree murder in the killing of Marco Grisales, who was found dead of a head injury in a vehicle parked on Roanoke Avenue Nov. 11.

The pair is expected to be arraigned in Southampton Town Justice Court Thursday.

Det. Lt. Kevin Beyrer, the head of Suffolk County police’s homicide squad, told the News-Review last month that it was apparent from the head injury sustained that Mr. Grisales’s death was criminal.

No weapon was discovered at the crime scene, he added.

Det. Lt. Beyrer said the vehicle the body was found in was registered to someone else, but investigators believe it was Mr. Grisales’ vehicle to use.

He couldn’t say definitively whether drugs my have been a factor.

Mr. Grisales and his brother worked together for a construction company.