Featured Story

Driver in fatal crash charged with DWI; Riverside man identified as passenger

Update (5:15 p.m.): Southampton Town police have charged the driver in the early morning crash on Flanders Road with driving while intoxicated.

Santiago Monzon-Archila, 40, was taken to police headquarters and processed. Additional charges are expected, police said.

The victim in the fatal crash has been identified as Noe Hernandez-Nunez, 36, of Riverside.

Original Story: A Toyota sedan crashed into a two-story home on Flanders Road early Friday morning, causing the passenger to be ejected from the vehicle. The passenger then died at a nearby hospital, according to Southampton Town police.

The identity of the deceased is being withheld pending notification of next of kin.

A total of four occupants — three adults and one child — were inside the home and none of them were injured.

The vehicle first struck a truck before crashing alongside a Flanders Road home. (Credit: Tim Gannon)

Police said the driver of the 2007 vehicle was traveling west on Flanders Road when he left the roadway and struck the home near Long Neck Boulevard. The car appeared to have first struck a red truck next door to the home and then went airborne toward the home. The driver was transported by members of the Flanders Northampton Volunteer Ambulance Corps to a nearby hospital. Police did not provide a condition on the driver. Police were notified just after 5 a.m. of the crash. Southampton detectives responded along with the New York State Police for an accident reconstruction.

The Flanders Fire Department responded to the crash along with the Southampton Town Fire Marshall to evaluate the residence.

The investigation into the crash remains ongoing and anyone with information is asked to contact Southampton detectives at 631-702-2230.

Police blocked off roadways around the crash site Friday morning and traffic remained backed up as of 10 a.m. It’s the second fatal crash in the Riverhead area in two days after an 85-year-old Calverton man died Wednesday afternoon in a crash at Horton and Reeves avenues.

Police tow away the vehicle during the investigation Friday morning. (Courtesy photo)