The Shoreham-Wading River High School tennis courts have been closed and locked since March after they were declared unsafe. Fixing them up will cost over $800,000. (Credit: Joe Werkmeister)
Shoreham-Wading River School District residents will vote Jan. 13 on a $48 million bond proposal on capital improvements throughout the district.
On Tuesday, the district released an itemized list of upgrades that will be paid for — should the vote pass — as well as a packet for the public summarizing the project, which the district’s public relations firm has dubbed ‘Renewal.’
“Since the formation of our district decades ago, only minimal work to our schools has ever been undertaken with the exception of emergency projects (roof at Briarcliff) or small infrastructure projects,” the material states. “Meanwhile, communities all around us have addressed deteriorated or inefficient building systems and instructional environments with upgraded facilities.”
The district will hold two separate meetings in early December for residents to learn more about the proposal.
On Dec. 2, a presentation will be given by architects hired by the district to complete the work. On Dec. 9, the public will have the opportunity to speak with board members and administrators about the proposal.
Below are the highest-ticketed items proposed.
• $5.6M: Wading River Elementary School: Four new classrooms, multipurpose room.
• $4.6M: Miller Avenue Elementary School. Four new classrooms and reconstruction of library/media wing.
• $3.7M: Prodell Middle School: kitchen and cafeteria addition.
• $2.4M: Miller Avenue Elementary School: New bus loop/parking.
• $2.3M: Wading River Elementary School: New bus loop/parking.
• $1.7M: High school: Synthetic field turn and lighting for multipurpose field.
• $1.4M: Miller Avenue Elementary School: New roof.
• $1.3M: High school: New window system.
• $976K: Prodell Middle school: New window system.
• $811K: High school: Tennis court reconstruction.
For a complete list of the proposed upgrades, as well as the Renewal packet released by the school district, see the following page.