Hundreds of firefighters have served the Flanders Fire Department since it was incorporated in 1948. But in all those decades, not a single one has served as long as ex-chief Michael DeNicolo.
As a teenager, Mr. DeNicolo, now 84, helped build the firehouse — literally brick by brick — when his father became one of the department’s founding members. While serving as chief in 1964, he helped fight back flames across swaths of land from Hampton Bays to East Quogue as the Pine Barrens burned. (more…)