займы онлайнпотребительский кредит онлайн
Featured Story
03/08/19 5:48am
03/08/2019 5:48 AM

A nearly 150-year-old house on six acres in Aquebogue was demolished last Wednesday.

The house at 190 Main Road was built by Edgar Fanning in 1870. Mr. Fanning was a farmer, according to Richard Wines, chair of Riverhead Town’s Landmarks Preservation Committee.  READ

04/07/16 12:00pm
04/07/2016 12:00 PM
Rendering of Preston House rehab and five-story hotel proposed by Joe Petrocelli

Courtesy rendering of Preston House rehab and five-story hotel proposed by Joe Petrocelli

Second Street and parts of Ostrander Avenue could join downtown Main Street on the National Register of Historic Places, under a proposal from the Riverhead Town’s Landmarks Commission. READ

04/03/16 12:00pm
04/03/2016 12:00 PM

An interesting juxtaposition exists in this week’s paper. While one historic property is about to be listed on the National Register of Historic Places, another is in such disrepair that it’s in danger of demolition — and barely remains a link to the area’s past. READ

06/18/15 6:00am
06/18/2015 6:00 AM
Two years ago, Dayna Corlito purchased the property holding this barn built circa 1884. (Credit: Joseph Pinciaro)

Two years ago, Dayna Corlito purchased the property holding this barn built circa 1884. (Credit: Joseph Pinciaro)

Joe Gergela remembers playing basketball inside his neighbor’s barn on Main Road in Jamesport — a roomy, lofty barn that dates back to 1884 and measures 40 feet wide, 45 feet deep and 2 1/2 stories tall.

“Me and Danny Kaelin would go in there and play,” he recalled. “At that time, Corwin Tuthill, the owner of the barn, was a veggie farmer like we all were back then.”

How the times have changed.

Though the hoop is still there, soon enough, that barn and the house it belongs to will likely find themselves on the National Register of Historic Places — the 11th such location in Riverhead Town. And someday, if the property owner’s plans work out, it may become a retail location with a wine-tasting room on site. (more…)

12/23/14 8:00am
12/23/2014 8:00 AM
A six-mile stretch of Main Road could be listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The corridor includes Aquebogue’s Old Steeple Church, built in 1862 and designed by a farmer with no architectural experience, as well as Aquebogue Cemetery, which dates back to 1755 and contains the graves of numerous Revolutionary War soldiers. (Credit: Andrew Lepre)

A six-mile stretch of Main Road was proposed to be listed on the National Register of Historic Places. (Credit: Andrew Lepre)

Two years ago, the landmarks preservation commissions in Riverhead and Southold towns launched a plan to create a historic district along a six-mile stretch of Main Road from Aquebogue to Laurel. (more…)