Featured Story

Jamesport Fire Department responds to shed fire

05/20/2016 8:44 AM |

shed fire

The Jamesport Fire Department responded to a shed fire in South Jamesport Friday, according to a press release issued by the fire department’s chief.

A passerby reported the fire around 5:45 a.m. at a residence on Front Street, fire chief John Andrejack said.

“Firefighters from the Jamesport Fire Department responded with one engine and the fire was quickly extinguished before it could spread to the nearby house or neighboring residences,” he said.

While the Riverhead Fire Marshall’s office is investigating the incident, Mr. Andrejack said he believes it “was possibly caused by self-combustion of soiled rags in the shed.”

He’s urging residents not to store oily rags and “credits the citizen’s community awareness and quick 911 notification with averting a larger incident,” the press release states.

Photo: (Credit: Jamesport Fire Department)

Comments

comments