The Suffolk County Legislature on Tuesday unanimously approved a proposed law to ban the sale of all ethanol-based fuel gels countywide in the wake of the tragic gel candle accident involving a 15-year-old Riverhead boy.
The measure, which received an 18 to 0 vote, now awaits the signature of County Executive Steve Levy to become law.
If enacted, the legislation, dubbed “Michael’s Law” in honor of burn victim Michael Hubbard, would ban the sale of semi-solid, pourable gelatinous material containing ethyl alcohol manufactured for use in outdoor fire pits, fireplaces, or firepot, in Suffolk.
Michael suffered severe burns over 40 percent of his body while trying to refuel an already lit wickless gel citronella candle Memorial Day weekend. He has been at Stony Brook University Medical Center ever since.
“There is no question that these products are dangerous and are a threat to the health and safety of county residents,” county Legislator Ed Romaine, the bill’s sponsor, told the News-Review earlier this year. “They should not be on the market. We cannot allow another family to suffer the same devastation as Michael’s.”