Featured Story

Pair who invaded Flanders home remain in custody, held on bond

Two men police say were involved in a home invasion in Flanders last week remain in custody after appearances this week.

According to Southampton Justice Court records, 28-year-old Roy Jones Jr. of Shirley is being held on $300,000 bond after his most recent appearance and is due back in court in January.

Riverhead resident Charles Schruggs, 27, remains held at Suffolk County Correctional Facility on $50,000 bond and $25,000 cash and is also due back in January.

Southampton police said that the two — along with a third person — broke into a Flanders home around 1 a.m. last Tuesday “brandishing a box cutter, a silver handgun and a shotgun.”

The men took more than $1,000 and had tried breaking into another home on Albany Avenue earlier, but failed, police said.

Mr. Schruggs was arrested Monday without incident and charged with first-degree robbery, first-degree burglary and fourth-degree conspiracy, all felonies, police said.

But when police tried to arrest Mr. Jones at the UA Theater in Hampton Bays, he fled the scene in a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. He drove south on Springville Road, but less than two blocks away, he “caused a motor vehicle crash and the serious injury of a 23-year-old Hampton Bays woman,” the release stated.

He then fled on foot and fought with police once they caught up with him, according to the press release. One officer was injured and required hospital treatment, but was later released in stable condition, police said.

Mr. Jones was arrested and taken to Peconic Bay Medical Center for treatment of the injuries he sustained in the crash. At his bedside, he was arraigned on felony first-degree robbery, first-degree burglary and fourth-degree conspiracy charges, as well as felony assault on a police officer, felony leaving the scene of an accident with a serious physical injury, unlawfully fleeing a police officer, misdemeanor third-degree aggravated unlicensed driving, driving while intoxicated, resisting arrest and obstruction of governmental administration.


He remains at PMBC, a court clerk said on Friday.

No information has been released the potential third suspect.