A Riverhead man was arrested last Thursday after he allegedly broke into a Doctors Path house in Riverhead, assaulted a resident and fired a gun before fleeing, authorities said.
James Clayton, 30, struck a woman in the arm with a revolver after he entered her home through a window last Wednesday, Riverhead Police said. He then allegedly fired one shot as he left. He was arrested the following day at town police headquarters and charged with first-degree burglary, third-degree assault and fourth-degree criminal mischief, police said.
* A Holbrook man was arrested Saturday for allegedly driving with drugs in his system after he rear-ended a Seaford couple on Route 58 as the pair waited to turn into the Tanger Outlet Center parking lot, town police said.
Kenneth Merrill, 41, was traveling westbound on Route 58 about 4 p.m. when the crash occurred, officials said. He then told responding officers that he might have fallen asleep at the wheel, with his foot slipping off the brake pedal, police said.
Mr. Merrill was charged with driving while ability impaired by drugs. Police offered no details as to what type of drugs Mr. Merrill was accused of taking.
* Someone driving a white van hit a dog and drove off on Warner Drive in Baiting Hollow about 6:30 a.m. last Tuesday. The dog’s owner said it suffered a cut to its front paw.
* Jeremy Ryan, 26, of Riverhead, Jermaine Langhorne, 36, of Riverhead and Ellorri Malachi, 51, of Riverhead were arrested last Tuesday and charged with criminal trespass. Police said the trio was found sleeping in an abandoned garage in Riverhead about 8:30 a.m.
* Two unidentified men stole $7,000 worth of underwear from the Calvin Klein store at Tanger Outlet Center last Thursday. The theft was reported about 4:30 p.m.
* Someone threw toilet paper on trees and on the lawn of a Canterbury Court home in Wading River Saturday. The vandalism was reported about 6:30 a.m.
Those who are named in police reports have not been convicted of any crime or violation. The charges against them may later be reduced or withdrawn, or they may be found innocent.