The Riverhead Town Board has appointed eight people to serve on its newly formed helicopter noise task force.
The task force volunteers include:
• Sid Bail of Wading River
• Connie Carlin of Aquebogue
• Ken Daland of Aquebogue
• Donna Henvey of South Jamesport
• Janice LaRusso of Riverhead
• Tommy Lassandro of Baiting Hollow
• Elaine McDuffy of Jamesport
• Councilman Tim Hubbard (Town Board liaison)
An FAA rule approved in 2012 and commonly referred to as the mandated “North Shore route” requires helicopters to fly over the water across Long Island Sound — one mile offshore — and to go around Orient Point rather than fly over houses.
But the rule allows pilots to deviate from the route when required for safety reasons, weather conditions or to transition.
Local officials have said this only makes the situation worse, since it allows helicopters to cut across the North Fork on their way to East Hampton Airport in Wainscott as they transition south.