• See ‘Mermaids and Magnets,’ functional art by Laura Wilson, between 3 and 6 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 7, at Rich Fiedler Gallery in Greenport. Ms. Wilson’s work includes maritime-themed jewelry and magnetic eyeglass holders.
• ‘Four Women Artists,’ paintings by North Fork artists Nancy Willott, Karen Fellows, Patricia McCarthy and Barbara Zegarek, is on view through the end of January at Jason’s Vineyard in Jamesport.
• North Fork wood turner Harry Wicks will be a judge in an arts and crafts competition presented by Raynham Hall Museum in Oyster Bay and the Oyster Bay Chamber of Commerce. The multimedia competition, “Show the Love,” celebrates America’s first valentine, written by a British officer while he was stationed in Oyster Bay. For competition details, go to thinklongislandfirst.com.
• “Janet Culbertson: Possible Peril” features the Shelter Island artist’s work from Jan. 12 to Feb. 18 at Accola Griefen Gallery in New York. A reception is set for 6 to 8 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 12.
• East End Arts will celebrate its 40th birthday with a brunch on Sunday, Jan. 15, at the Riverhead gallery from 1 to 3 p.m.
To help get the party started, the community is also invited to submit birthday cards to decorate the gallery walls for the brunch and through most of January. Submit on your own, or attend a birthday card-making party at 6 p.m. Friday, Jan. 6, in the EEA carriage house. Bring art scraps. All submissions must be received by Thursday, Jan. 12. Submissions will not be returned.
Brunch tickets are $50. Call 727-0900 or visit eastendarts.org.
To send arts news, email firstname.lastname@example.org, fax to 298-3287, or mail to Times/Review Newspapers, P.O. Box 1500, Mattituck, NY 11952. Copy deadline: Wednesday at 5 p.m. to appear the following week.