About 50 Riverhead Fire Department volunteers responded to a basement fire at a Newton Avenue home Wednesday afternoon. The basement suffered minimal damage and despite the fact that at least two people were home at the time of the fire, there were no injuries.
Riverhead police said they received a 911 call from a homeowner reporting flames and smoke coming from a dryer in the basement, said Officer Michael Lombardo.
The homeowner had attempted to use a fire extinguisher, but was forced from the basement due to the smoke, Mr. Lombardo said.
Police and fire officials said by they time they arrived at about noon, smoke was billowing out of the back door of the home, where the basement was located.
First Assistant Chief Kevin Brooks said volunteers knocked the fire down “within minutes,” with minimal damage to the home’s basement. The dryer itself was “a total loss,” he said.