Auto Racing: Race stopped, just in time for McGuire


Chris McGuire of Shirley, in just his fourth start in the class, was declared the winner in a time-limit affair for the NASCAR Modifieds at Riverhead Raceway on Saturday. The scheduled 35-lapper actually went only 15 laps that took well over an hour to run, forcing NASCAR officials to declare the race with McGuire out front.

As the cars circulated the track during a 15th-lap yellow flag the field was reset and when in order, starter Mike Boken waved the checker flag much to the delight of McGuire, the race leader and former Charger standout.

“Hey, I wanted to win in a 35-lap race, but I’ll take this for sure,” said McGuire.

During the off-season McGuire was tabbed by 2011 championship car owner Ken Massa to drive his Riverhead entry while he and his NASCAR Modified Tour driver, Justin Bonsignore, chase that title. McGuire, realizing this was the opportunity of a racing lifetime, jumped at the offer. “We got off to a rocky start and I was about ready to give Ken the car back but my crew kept digging and we’re getting there,” said McGuire.

Before the race was called, John Beatty Jr. of Franklin Square was working on McGuire for the race lead. He had to settle for the runner-up spot. Shawn Solomito of Islip was third, Tom Rogers Jr. of Patchogue fourth and Jason Agugliaro of Islip fifth.

In other races:

Mike Bologna of Melville scored his second win in three races for the Late Models as he was the overall winner in the Twin 15s for the class. It was his ninth career win. Peter Eriksen of Baldwin was second, and third went to Shawn Patrick of Brightwaters.

The 20-lap Charger main event provided some fireworks before C. J. Lehmann of Shirley claimed his second consecutive win. The complexion of the race changed on lap 12 when the yellow flag waved for a minor incident. At that time NASCAR officials penalized both Turbush and Ray Minieri, who were running one-two, for rough riding. That moved Lehmann back into the race lead. He then went on to collect his second win of 2012, assuming the point lead in the process. Turbush of Riverhead made a spirited charge late in the race to claim second place. Brian Doyle of Ronkonkoma was third.

Hoping to shake a run of bad racing luck that dates back to halfway through the 2011 season, Roger Turbush of Riverhead won the 20-lap Super Pro Truck feature, his 11th career triumph. Erin Dumicich of East Quogue was second, and her father, Frank Dumicich Sr., of East Quogue crossed the line third.

Kyle Soper of Manorville scored his first career win in a thrilling 20-lap Legend Race car main event that featured numerous lead changes as well as a fevered fight to the finish. Kyle Ellwood of Riverhead was second. Vinny Delaney of Holtsville took third.

In the season’s first demolition derby, tested veteran Rich Fowler of Wantagh took the win in a Four-Cylinder Demolition Derby.

CHARRIER, HALLOCK WIN ENDUROS The Memorial Day weekend of racing at Riverhead Raceway concluded Sunday afternoon with a full card of Enduro racing. James Charrier of Shirley topped the Grand Enduro 50-lap feature for his second win in a row. Hank Hallock of Riverhead collected his first ever Four/Six-Cylinder Truck Enduro victory in a 50-lap main event.