Riverhead man accused of dealing crack-cocaine

PAUL SQUIRE PHOTO | Leroy Jones III is led into his arraignment in Riverhead Town Justice Court Friday morning.
PAUL SQUIRE PHOTO | Leroy Jones III is led by a Riverhead Town police officer to Town Justice Court for an arraignment proceeding Friday morning before Justice Richard Ehlers.

A Riverhead man is facing felony drug charges after he was arrested by Riverhead Town police in Aquebogue Thursday afternoon.

Leroy Jones III, 21, was arrested about 4:30 p.m. on Meetinghouse Creek Road, where officers found Mr. Jones had several bags containing cocaine and marijuana, according to a criminal complaint filed in Riverhead Town Justice Court.

Two bags “packed in a manner consistant with the sale of crack cocaine” were found in the door of Mr. Jone’s vehicle, the complaint reads. Police also allegedly found two plastic bags of marijuana and a marijuana cigarette in Mr. Jones’ pockets.

Mr. Jones was charged with third-degree criminal possession of a controlled substance, two counts of fourth-degree criminal possession of a controlled substance — both felonies — and unlawful possession of marijuana, a violation.

Town authorities said they believe Mr. Jones intended to sell the drugs, which led prosecutors to charge him with the felony counts.

Several of Mr. Jones family members attended his arraignment Friday morning in  Justice Court, where Mr. Jones told Justice Richard Ehlers he is a lifelong Riverhead resident who’s worked on a fishing boat in Mattituck for the past two years.

He was first held on $10,000 bail, but moments after the arraignment, an attorney arrived for him and Mr. Jones was brought back into the courtroom.

The lawyer, John Manley, who said he was in court on behalf of Mr. Jones’ attorney, John Loturco of Huntington, said Mr. Jones has no prior criminal history and noted that family had come to court to support him.

Mr. Manley also questioned why prosecutors believed Mr. Jones intended to sell the drugs.

“There were no small bags used to sell, no scales, no cash,” Mr. Manley said.

He requested Mr. Jones be released on his own recognizance.

Prosecutors also requested a lower bail, set at $5,000, saying that though the charges are serious, Mr. Jones now had an attorney.

Bail was set at $2,500 cash or bond. Mr. Jones’ family said they expected to post bail later in the day, but declined to comment further.

Mr. Jones is due back in court on Aug. 14, court officials said.

[email protected]