A Calverton woman told police on Jan. 2 that someone attempted to scam her by claiming in a telephone call that her brother needed money following a car accident.
The woman called her brother, who said he was not involved in a car accident. Police said there have been several phone scams occurring lately and advised her not to pass out any credit card information.
• Erick Cisneros, 33, of Islip Terrace was charged with DWI and leaving the scene of an accident on Dec. 26 at about 5:30 p.m. on Route 58. Police say Mr. Cisneros drifted into the oncoming lane and hit a car that was waiting to make a turn onto Woodcrest Avenue, then continued west until being stopped a short distance later on Route 58.
• About $9,700 worth of jewelry was reported stolen from an apartment at Riverhead Landing on Middle Road on Dec. 27 at about 11:30 a.m.
• Latesha Bryant, 33, of Ridge was charged with petit larceny on Dec. 23 at about 1 p.m. at Walmart on Route 58, where police say she stole $650 worth of clothing.
• Heather DeGroff, 27, of Riverhead was charged with petit larceny on Dec. 30 at Target on Route 58, where police say she stole assorted toys, food and a tote bag.
• Someone broke into an apartment on 1572 Main Road in Jamesport and stole a red Dell laptop computer, Samsung Galaxy 4 cellphone and other items on Dec. 23 shortly before 11 p.m.
• A woman stole a 750-milliliter bottle of Hennessy Black from Lucky Wines and Liquors on West Main Street in Riverhead on Dec. 31 at about 5 p.m., according to police, who said the bottle was valued at about $44.