A gray male pitbull named Dream was reported stolen from the Riverhead Town Animal Shelter on Youngs Avenue in Calverton last Friday, Riverhead Town police said. The dog had been turned over to the shelter the day before after he was found roaming South Oakland Drive in Riverhead, officials said.
The thief reportedly climbed over a locked fence, entered the building and removed the dog, police said.
Dream has been at the shelter “several times” before and was returned to his owner in those incidents, police said. This time, shelter officials decided they would not release the dog to his owner due to his “poor care and malnutrition,” police said. The shelter also notified the Suffolk County Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals to conduct an animal cruelty investigation, police said. The owner wasn’t identified in a report.
As of Tuesday afternoon, the dog remains missing and the incident is still under investigation. No other details were provided.
• A camp director for the Boy Scouts of America in Baiting Hollow contacted police Saturday afternoon to report an incident that occurred between a scout troop leader and an 11-year-old boy, officials said. The scout troop leader allegedly hit the child in the head in a “joking manner” with a soft open hand, police said. After the child told his father what happened, the father didn’t find any humor in the incident and said, “Joking or not, you don’t hit a child,” a report states. The camp director told police the scout troop leader was “removed from the property … pending further internal investigation,” according to the report.
No further police action was requested. The child, his father and the scout troop leader weren’t identified in the report. Messages seeking comment from the Boy Scouts of America weren’t returned.
• A Bridgehampton man was arrested last Wednesday and charged with stealing a vacuum cleaner at Target in Riverhead last month, according to a police report.
Brian Jenkins, 50, stole a Dyson vacuum cleaner valued at $600 on Dec. 4, Riverhead police said. He was charged with petit larceny, a misdemeanor, officials said.
Mr. Jenkins was arraigned in Riverhead Town Justice Court and is being held at the Suffolk County Correctional Facility, police said.
• Jonathan Calandra, 19, of Rocky Point was arrested Monday afternoon at UGG Australia in Riverhead and charged with petit larceny, police said.
• William Anderson, age and address undisclosed, was arrested around 3:35 p.m. last Thursday on Main Road in Jamesport and charged with driving while intoxicated, police said.
• Joseph Kess, age and address undisclosed, was arrested around 4:50 a.m. last Thursday on Eileen Circle in Jamesport and charged with driving while intoxicated, police said.
• Nischwe Terry, 19, Calverton, was arrested around 12:40 p.m. last Tuesday at police headquarters and charged with petit larceny, officials said.
• A teacher told police their cellphone was stolen by two students around 5 p.m. Friday at Riverhead High School, police said. The item was eventually returned, officials said.
• The windows of three vehicles parked at Target in Riverhead were reportedly smashed between 7 and 8 p.m. last Wednesday, police said.
@ALL_Endnote:Those who are named in police reports have not been convicted of any crime or violation. The charges against them may later be reduced or withdrawn, or they may be found innocent.