Three fires means busy week for Jamesport FD

05/06/2013 8:47 AM |
JAMESPORT FIRE DEPARTMENT COURTESY PHOTO | A motorcycle burst into flames Friday, the second incident in a busy week for the volunteers.

JAMESPORT FIRE DEPARTMENT COURTESY PHOTO | A motorcycle burst into flames Friday, the second incident in a busy week for the volunteers.

The summer season is just a month away but the Jamesport Fire Department was already hard at work this week as three separate fires sparked across the district in just under a week, fire officials said.

Firefighters got the call of the first fire Wednesday about 2:35 p.m. for an outside fire on Tuthills Lane in Aquebogue. Fire crews arrived at the street to find a “large pile of hay bales” on fire, fire officials said. The fire had already spread to a nearby wooden fence that surrounded the hay bales, but firefighters used two fire engines to put out the flames and prevent the fire from spreading.

JAMESPORT FIRE DEPARTMENT COURTESY PHOTO | Firefighters extinguish a rekindled bonfire on Saturday.

JAMESPORT FIRE DEPARTMENT COURTESY PHOTO | Firefighters extinguish a rekindled bonfire on Saturday.

Two days later, Jamesport firefighters were called to the scene of a motorcycle accident at Sound Avenue and Herricks Lane in Jamesport, officials said. A motorcycle was lying in the middle of the road and had burst into flames.

Riverhead Town police said the driver of the 2011 Kawasaki motorcycle, a 19-year-old man from Cutchogue, lost control of the vehicle about 7:35 p.m. and dumped the motorcycle before it caught fire.

A fire engine arrived on scene and put out the fire while fire police and Riverhead police closed the road.

The teen was taken to Peconic Bay Medical Center for treatment of a hand injury, police said.

The next day on Saturday, Jamesport firefighters were called to a second outside fire on state park property adjacent to the Hallockville Museum Farm. Volunteers used two fire engines and an off-road vehicle to quickly extinguish the fire.

Fire officials said the fire “appeared to have been a large unattended bonfire which had rekindled.”

Jamesport Fire Chief Duffy Griffiths said residents should take extra precautions as the summer season approaches to conduct outside activities safely.

psquire@timesreview.com

326 Comment