A 39-year-old man was arrested in Riverside Friday on charges of driving while ability impaired by drugs, Southampton Town police said.
Vashon Barrow, of Riverhead, was stopped for a traffic violation on Nugent Drive around 9:50 p.m. and was found to have marijuana in his backpack, police said. Mr. Barrow admitted to smoking earlier and performed poorly on standardized field sobriety tests, police said.
He was charged with operating a motor vehicle impaired by drugs, a misdemeanor, possession of marijuana and numerous traffic violations, officials said.
In 2010, Mr. Barrow was involved in a dispute that led to one person being shot in the back, according to a previous News-Review article.
• A 25-year-old Riverside woman was arrested in Riverside last Saturday on drug charges, police said.
Amanda Cross was seen standing in a known drug location on Pine Street around 10 p.m., police said. Ms. Cross told police she did not have drugs on her after an officer spotted drug paraphernalia on the ground. An officer found drugs on her and she was charged with seventh-degree criminal possession of a controlled substance, a misdemeanor, police said.
Ms. Cross had been charged with criminal possession of a controlled substance in 2013 during a traffic stop in Flanders, according to a prior News-Review article.
• A Riverhead man was arrested Sunday in East Quogue on charges of driving without a license, police said.
Gary Murphy, 45, was stopped for a traffic violation on Raynor Avenue around 1 a.m. A DMV check showed that he his driver’s license had been revoked for an alcohol-related incident, officials said.
Mr. Murphy was charged with aggravated unlicensed operation, a misdemeanor, illegal signal and driving without a license, both violations, police said.
• A 49-year-old man was arrested last Thursday in Riverside on charges of driving without a license, police said.
Martin Mullaly of Riverhead was seen driving with a fractured windshield on Peconic Avenue around 2:35 a.m. A DMV check showed that his license was suspended and his car’s registration was expired, officials said.
Mr. Mullaly was charged with third-degree aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle, a misdemeanor, operating an unregistered vehicle and having broken glass, both violations, police said.
• A Huntington man was arrested last Thursday on charges of driving without a license in Riverside, police said.
Luis Zepeda, 28, was driving with a cracked windshield on County Road 94 approaching the traffic circle at around 3:30 a.m. Further investigation showed that his license was suspended, police said.
Mr. Zepeda was charged with third-degree aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle, a misdemeanor, and broken glass, a violation, officials said.
• Two 24-ounce Corona beers were reported stolen last Tuesday from the 7-Eleven in Flanders at around 9 a.m. The suspect eventually returned and was arrested after police reviewed surveillance video.