Southampton blotter: Prior DWI offender caught driving drunk again

Southampton, Hampton Bays Police station

A Greenport man previously convicted of driving while intoxicated was arrested again on a drunken-driving charge last week in Southampton Town, state police said.

Police stopped Ronald Smith, 47, as he was heading south at 87 miles per hour on County Road 51 last Thursday, according to a police statement. A state trooper found Mr. Smith was intoxicated and arrested him at the scene, police said.

He was charged with felony DWI and held overnight at the Suffolk County jail.

• A Hampton Bays man with a suspended license was caught speeding in and out of his lane in Flanders while driving drunk in a car with switched license plates earlier this month, police said.

Aureliano Robles-Raymundo, 32, was seen driving a 2002 Ford pickup truck last Saturday on Flanders Road near Cypress Avenue at 70 miles per hour, 30 miles per hour over the speed limit, according to a police report. He was stopped by police, who found Mr. Robles-Raymundo’s breath smelled like alcohol, his eyes were bloodshot and glassy and he was unable to stand or walk on his own, the report states.

He was also unable to take a field sobriety test and had slurred speech, according to the report.

He was arrested at the scene and charged with DWI.

• A Flanders man was arrested for allegedly choking someone at a Flanders residence Sunday night, police said.

Luis Martinez, 24, got into a dispute with another person about 7:40 p.m., according to a police report. Police were called to the house after the argument and arrested Mr. Martinez.

He was charged with criminal obstruction of breath, a misdemeanor.

• A Riverhead man turned himself in to Southampton Town police headquarters one day after he took a set of speakers from a locked vehicle in Riverside earlier this month, police said.

The set of roughly a dozen speakers worth $200 and a Sound Cube speaker worth $300 were taken from the trunk of a parked car sometime between 3 and 7 a.m. last Friday, according to a police report. The lock had been broken open.

The victim said someone took the speakers and sold them to a third party without his permission, police said. Police found the person who allegedly had purchased the speakers, but refused to help police, according to the report.

The next day, 48-year-old Anthony Jenkins of Riverhead walked into police headquarters and admitted to police that he broke the trunk lock and took the speakers. He was arrested and charged with petit larceny and criminal mischief, both misdemeanors.

Mr. Jenkins was released with a future court date.

• A Flanders man was punched in the face last Saturday by a driver who honked her horn outside his house, then smacked him and drove off when he came to investigate, according to a police report.

The victim said a vehicle was parked outside his home and was “beeping their horn repeatedly” about 10:40 p.m., the report states. When the man went outside to see if everything was OK, a woman he didn’t recognize stepped out of the car and punched him in the face, police said.

She then jumped back into her vehicle and drove off. Police said the harassment case is still under investigation.

• A Flanders man’s door was damaged last Monday after a woman attempted to kick it in while he sheltered another woman inside, police said.

The victim said a woman he didn’t know came to his door asking for help about 5:05 p.m., according to a police report. A few minutes later, another woman tried to get into the man’s house, screaming for the first woman to come outside, police said.

The second woman began kicking at the door, damaging it, before both women fled the scene, according to the report.

Police searched the area but could not find either woman, the report states.

• A $500 laptop was stolen from the Suffolk County Community College campus on Nov. 14, according to a police report.

The victim told police the laptop — an Apple MacBook Pro — was taken while she was in the study lounge in the Orient Building on campus sometime between 3:30 and 6 p.m., the report states.

Those who are named in police reports have not been convicted of any crime or violation. The charges against them may later be reduced or withdrawn, or they may be found innocent.