04/05/15 8:00am
04/05/2015 8:00 AM
At 14 months, Alice Wisniewski was among the youngest Easter Egg hunters in Flanders Saturday. (Credit: Michael White)

At 14 months, Alice Wisniewski was among the youngest Easter Egg hunters in Flanders Saturday. (Credit: Michael White)

Three minutes. That was about how long it took for the 40 or so children who attended Saturday’s Easter Egg hunt at the Big Duck Ranch in Flanders to scoop up 500 candy-filled eggs.  (See more photos below.) (more…)

04/05/15 7:00am

Kara, who runs Hands Fuel in Orient along with her husband, Jeff, had called me in New York to report a problem. Two months after their previous oil delivery to my house they had tried to replenish the oil tank. Impossible: The tank was still full. It meant: Heating system not working. Big problem, I thought. I’d been away for a few weeks. A vision of broken pipes, debris and repairs I could ill-afford had suddenly disrupted a quiet time in the Big City.  (more…)

04/04/15 5:00pm
04/04/2015 5:00 PM
Members (counter-clockwise, from left) Sissy Zosimo, Diann Scott, Joanne Zosimo, Darlene Faith, Marie Donovan and Thelma Booker pose for a photo Saturday at the Madison Street Moose lodge. (Credit: Rachel Young)

Members (counter-clockwise, from left) Sissy Zosimo, Diann Scott, Joanne Zosimo, Darlene Faith, Marie Donovan and Thelma Booker pose for a photo Saturday at the Madison Street Moose lodge. (Credit: Rachel Young)

Deborah Boschetti, senior regent of the Riverhead chapter of the Women of the Moose, barely had a second to spare last Saturday as she prepared for the organization’s 60th anniversary celebration later that night.

“I still have to get changed,” the Laurel resident said apologetically as she spooned balsamic vinaigrette onto individual bowls of salad at the Madison Street moose lodge. “Can you excuse me for a minute?”  (more…)

04/04/15 12:00pm
The old red mill in Riverhead. (Credit: Courtesy)

The old red mill in Riverhead. (Credit: Suffolk County Historical Society)

Did you know historians believe Riverhead to be home to the first saw mill ever erected on Long Island?

Around 1659, when Riverhead was still part of Southold Town, John Tucker received permission from local authorities to build the Little Red Mill, according to the Suffolk County Historical Society(more…)

04/04/15 7:00am

Happy Easter and Passover to all the friends and neighbors who are reading this column. I hope whatever you celebrate you celebrate with love, family and friends. It’s April so I’m hoping that it’s going to start getting a little bit warmer. This winter has been rough. When I woke up to snow Saturday and then it kept snowing all day, I have to admit, it kind of bummed me out. I was so glad to see blue sky and sunshine on Sunday, even if it was only 40 degrees. Let’s all keep our fingers crossed that was the last, at least until next December. (more…)

04/03/15 7:00am

Kim Sanders, a former Riverhead resident and 1983 Riverhead High School graduate, was recently named human resources director for Transit Manager of Charlotte (N.C.) CATS bus operations division. She is the first woman to hold this position at TMC. Kim, who has worked since 2007 as a human resources manager at TMC, previously worked for MTA LI Bus Services in Garden City and in human resources for the banking industry. Cressie Blakes, her mother, is so proud of her daughter. Congratulations and good luck in your new job.  (more…)