10/28/14 6:00am
10/28/2014 6:00 AM

Suffolk County Historical Society in Riverhead is hosting a “Book and Bottle” event on at 6 p.m. on Nov. 6 led by historian Dean Failey.

Mr. Failey is the author of “Long Island Is My Nation: The Decorative Arts & Craftsmen, 1640-1830.”

Wine and cheese will be served. The event is free to members of the historical society. The cost for non-members is $5.

For more information, call 631-727-2881 or visit suffolkcountyhistoricalsociety.org.

10/28/14 5:00am

A family pumpkin carving workshop at East End Arts in Riverhead is scheduled for Saturday from 1 to 3 p.m.

Pumpkins, carving tools, stencils and templates will be provided. Children must be accompanied by adult. Pre-registration required. The cost is $5 per family.

Pumpkins may be entered in the Carved Pumpkin contest immediately following the workshop. Entries must be submitted between 1 and 3:30 p.m. for public voting scheduled from 3:30 to 5 p.m. One entry per family.

All pumpkins must be picked up between 5 and 5:45 p.m.

To register and for more information, call 631-369-2171.

10/26/14 12:47pm
10/26/2014 12:47 PM
Witch's Hat restoration project manager Cliff Baldwin (left), Save Main Road 's Larry Simms and Richard Wines, chairman of Riverhead's Landmarks Preservation Commission. (Credit: Katharine Schroeder)

Witch’s Hat restoration project manager Cliff Baldwin (left), Save Main Road ‘s Larry Simms and Richard Wines, chairman of Riverhead’s Landmarks Preservation Commission. (Credit: Katharine Schroeder)

Near the top of a two-page flier handed out at “The Witch’s Hat” on Main Road in Aquebogue Saturday was a statement attributed to the volunteers who have spent the past year renovating the local landmark.

“It’s such a small structure; how hard could it be?” reads the quote.

While that question was certainly rhetorical, the task turned out to be somewhat more involved than originally imagined. The volunteers were rewarded for their sizable efforts when they celebrated the completion of the renovation project Saturday.

Read more about the project and see more photos from the renovation on northforker.com

10/26/14 6:00am

We’ve all heard that absence makes the heart grow fonder and from personal experience I can attest to this truth. I’m embarrassed to admit that I’ve succumbed to a “fatal attraction” type of thing. I’m obsessively, deeply and passionately in love. And I don’t need a therapist to tell me it’s unhealthy.

I’m more or less a common-sense type of gal; however, I plummeted over the edge with this one. Ya think it’s some guy, right? Wrong! I don’t do “fatal attraction,” but this may be just as bad. Folks, I go wacko when my smartphone isn’t within reach.  (more…)

10/24/14 6:00am
10/24/2014 6:00 AM

Hello, friends and neighbors. Welcome to fall. It got cold, didn’t it? Speaking of the cold, my daughter downloaded an app that counts the days till Christmas. I don’t want to think about Christmas yet. I want to get through Halloween, Thanksgiving and Kaitlyn’s college finals first. I can’t believe her first semester is almost over. She is doing so well and enjoying her college experience. Thank you to everyone who asks about her.  (more…)