02/10/17 6:00am

T

Paola Zuniga-Tellez had already spent more than half her life in America by the time she moved from Brooklyn to the East End, resettling in Flanders with her husband, Jose. A native of Mexico, she had the advantage of being bilingual, yet still felt like an outsider in her new home. READ

02/02/17 3:19pm
02/02/2017 3:19 PM

Old Steeple Community Church is currently collecting canned soup to donate to the Long Island Council of Churches’ food pantry. The drive is called “Souper Bowl” — a timely name, especially for sports fans. The collection will end Feb. 12. For more details and directions to drop-off donations, call the church at 631-722-3070.

(more…)

02/02/17 3:18pm

Congratulations to the Shoreham-Wading River high school band and orchestra musicians who have attained All State status: J. Desideria, A. Meli, R. Radonavitch and J. Searing. May this achievement bring you success and help to take you far in your post-high school career. Congratulations also to all the music teachers who taught them.

(more…)

02/02/17 3:11pm

Happy February. I’m personally ready for spring to begin as there hasn’t been near enough snow to satisfy me. I’m quite ready to be warm and watch the crocuses pop out of the ground, which has already been happening in some of the warmer yards around town.

Great news! Kent Animal Shelter has received a $15,000 grant from Pet Peeves to provide medical assistance to rescued dogs and (more…)

02/01/17 5:42pm
02/01/2017 5:42 PM

As director of animal training at the Long Island Aquarium in Riverhead, Candyce Paparo’s responsibilities extend far beyond playing with monkeys and sea lions. In fact, Paparo spends more than 10 hours a day caring for the facility’s mammals — a job she and her team of eight trainers and assistants all relish.

“I just got into the marine mammal field and never looked back,” she said. (more…)