10/14/14 10:00am
10/14/2014 10:00 AM
JOSEPH PINCIARO PHOTO | A member of the Riverhead VFW salutes the flag on Veterans Day 2013.

JOSEPH PINCIARO PHOTO | A member of the Riverhead VFW salutes the flag on Veterans Day 2013.

Liz Stokes recalled the day she asked about how Riverhead Town helps out its local veterans.

“I walked into Town Hall and said, ‘We have a handicapped committee, a parking committee, litter control. Do we have a veterans committee?’” she said this week. “I was told, ‘No. Do you want to start one?’ So I said, ‘Yeah, I guess. I’ll start one.’

(more…)

10/13/14 8:00am
The 39th annual Riverhead Country Fair featured family-friendly activities, including dancing and a magic show. (Credit: Katharine Schroeder photos)

The 39th annual Riverhead Country Fair featured family-friendly activities, including dancing and a magic show. (Credit: Katharine Schroeder photos)

Thousands of people visited downtown Riverhead on Sunday for the 39th annual Riverhead Country Fair.

Vendors lined Main Street and the waterfront and sold a variety of goods — from roasted corn to crocheted baby hats.

(more…)

10/12/14 2:00pm
10/12/2014 2:00 PM
Nikola Tesla's final laboratory in Shoreham will be open to the public for three hours later this month. (Credit: Tesla Society, courtesy)

Nikola Tesla’s final laboratory in Shoreham will be open to the public for three hours later this month. (Credit: Tesla Society, courtesy)

You’ve likely driven past legendary scientist Nikola Tesla’s lab in Shoreham many times in the past.

And it’s even more likely you’ve never set foot on the lab’s grounds.

You can change all that from 1 to 4 p.m. Oct. 25.  (more…)