06/13/15 12:00pm
06/13/2015 12:00 PM
Tracey Marcus, instructor for the marine camp, holds up a starfish. (Credit: Paul Squire)

Tracey Marcus, instructor for the marine camp, holds up a starfish. (Credit: Paul Squire)

Tracy Marcus, an instructor at the Suffolk County Marine Environmental Learning Center in Southold, points through the clear water in an open-topped tank, where a scallop about the size of a clenched fist lies on its side, revealing a ring of bright blue eyes. She reaches in to pick it up and fish and shrimp scurry away as the scallop snaps shut.

The “touch tank” is one of four at the Cedar Beach facility, operated by Cornell University. And this summer, during sessions of the Sea Adventures Marine Camp, the tanks — the center’s most popular attractions — will once again be open to North Fork children after nearly a decade in Babylon.

“We’ve been talking the past couple of years about doing a full-scale program,” said Kimberly Barbour, marine program outreach manager for Cornell Cooperative Extension of Suffolk County. “Back in its heyday, [the old] program was huge.”

The North Fork summer camp had run for several years, but in 2007 the extension chose to move it to Babylon. For the past few years, a smaller program, accommodating only nine children at a time, was set up in Southold. But when the Babylon location became unavailable last year, the larger summer camp program was able to move back to the East End.

The camp offers a variety of week-long courses, some of them offered multiple times over the summer. A main camp will include interactive exhibits, activities in the nearby salt marsh and marine-themed arts and crafts, Ms. Marcus said.

Campers will also get to explore the touch tank room and pick up starfish and hermit crabs. Nearby, tropical fish and even small sharks native to the area swim in larger tanks.

Programs are designed for campers in various age groups from 6 to 12 and include a special week devoted to marine mammals like whales, seals and dolphins, as well as the popular “shark week.”

Both of those week-long camps feature trips to the Long Island Aquarium in Riverhead.

When they’re not out exploring, Ms. Marcus said, campers will be inside the Cedar Beach learning center, in a classroom with a digital microscope that can be streamed to a giant TV, Ms. Marcus said.

There’s also enough space in the center to hold camps for younger and older children at the same time, meaning parents with kids of different ages can enroll them all at once, she added.

The online registration period is now open at SeaAdventuresMarineCamp.com and will remain open until the camp programs begin in early July.

psquire@timesreview.com

06/13/15 7:00am

It’s June and we are officially at our new address. If I’ve missed anyone’s calls or emails these past two weeks, I apologize. It’s been hectic to say the least. I’d like to thank a few people who really helped us get settled. First, my kids Kate and Mike and my special friend Chris. And, most importantly, Kevin and Michele Dupuis. We couldn’t have done it without them! Finally my dad, Jim Zaleski, who took his grand-puppy to his house during the move. He loves visiting his Pop Pop’s house. It was great of you to take him, Dad. And, finally, thank you to Lindsey and Diane Reeve for what you both have done for my family. Love you all.

If you live here in the “Flamptons” (I recently heard someone refer to our community in this way) or just travel through here you probably noticed that Route 24/Flanders Road is being repaved. It’s been a long time coming and we are so grateful for the new surface. I must say, though, that the placement/flow of the traffic cones is a bit confusing. I’m also noticing a lot of people driving down the center lane to get ahead of everyone else. Please slow it down and be courteous toward others. Stay safe.

‘Disney Floral Fantasies,’ a standard flower show presented by Riverhead and Southold towns’ garden clubs, will be held Wednesday, June 17, from 1:30 to 5:30 p.m. at Raphael Vineyard in Peconic. Admission is free. Call 631-594-3521 for more details.

Happy birthday to Kelly Tocci on June 11, Payton Dupis, Tom Higgins and Lori Marin, June 12; Theresa Foley and Ken Heagy, June 13; Melanie Lessard and Kim Nelson, June 14; Katie Blasl and Pat Nash, June 16; Jill O’Kula, June 18; Joe Kaelin and Chrissy Peters, June 19; and new grandma Paulette Sikora and Devon Brewer, who I call my nephew since I’ve known him since birth, June 24. I hope each and every one of you have a terrific day doing whatever it is that makes you happy.

Happy Father’s Day to all the dads out there. I want to send special love to my dad for all that he’s done for me. You are the best! We love you so much and hope you have a fabulous day!

Like I mentioned in my opening paragraph, I have moved. However, I still reside in Flanders and my contact info is the same. There was a brief issue during the move with cable and the Internet but all has been worked out. If you left me a voicemail and I didn’t respond, please call me back. Thanks for reading and please drive safely.

06/12/15 12:00pm
06/12/2015 12:00 PM
(Credit: Barbaraellen Koch)

Huntington artist Caitlyn Shea with her self-portrait, ‘Elusive.’ (Credit: Barbaraellen Koch)

Huntington artist Caitlyn Shea presented her self-portrait, ‘Elusive,’ a work in acrylic, spray paint and charcoal, before the opening of her show and gallery talk at Rivehead Free Library’s Elizabeth Overton Gallery last week.

In her talk, Ms. Shea discussed the challenges she faced after a fire at her home damaged some of her work. An art auction event for her benefit is planned for July 10. Her paintings will be on view at the library through July 24.

Ms. Shea was one of the artists who participated in the East End Arts’ JumpstART program last year and is a mentor in it this year.

To donate to help Ms. Shea rebuild, visit her GoFundMe page.

06/12/15 6:00am
399811c3-edac-47ae-ae01-9a7d95e179b5

Paolo Bartolani at the piano.

Italian virtuoso pianist Paolo Bartolani will perform “A Musical Conversation: Franz Schubert and Philip Glass” at 7:30 p.m. Friday, June 12, at the Jamesport Meeting House. The program will include music by the Austrian composer (born 1797) and Mr. Glass, a contemporary American composer.

Mr. Bartolani explained in a release: “By having a conversation between the music of today and that of the past, we discover the invisible thread between composers and how their music resonates with each other.”

Mr. Bartolani, who lives in Southold, was director of the Association Resonnance-Italy, a nonprofit group that promotes classical music throughout Europe and the United States.
Tickets are $18 in advance (jamesportmeetinghouse.org) and $20 at the door. Student tickets are $8 and $10.

• New land- and seascapes by North Fork artist Max Moran will be on display through Labor Day in the tasting room at Lieb Cellars on Oregon Road in Cutchogue. The show, entitled “Vintage: Twenty Years Painting the North Fork,” opens Saturday, June 13, with a reception from 5 to 7 p.m.

In a release, Mr. Moran reflected on two decades of local inspiration by saying, “… seeing those Connecticut clouds drifting over the L.I. Sound or farmlands still gives me a rush. There are still plenty of places that are quiet and hidden away that are a delight to paint and discover for the first time.”

• An exhibit of hooked wall hangings by fiber artist Marilyn Bottjer will be on display June 13-27 at Southold Historical Society’s Cosden-Price Gallery, housed in the Reichert Family Center on Main Road, where a reception is set for Friday, June 12, 5:30 to 7 p.m. Her “colorful and inventive” pieces, according to a release, “can depict anything from local and regional buildings and landscapes to special events and independent creations that appear almost abstract in nature.”

Ms. Bottjer has shown and taught at the American Folk Art Museum in New York and been featured at many other major museums and institutions, as well as on HGTV and in publications on rug hooking, the release stated.

• Suffolk County Historical Society in Riverhead will host two arts-related events in conjunction with its current exhibits, “From Shore the Shore: Boatbuilders and Boatyards of Long Island” and a maritime art exhibit in the new Noel J. Gish Gallery.

Boatbuilder Christopher Hale will demonstrate his skill as a crafter of half-model boats indigenous to Long Island’s South Shore at 1 p.m. Saturday, June 13. Using specialized hand tools and line drawings, he will create working models of a 1970s-era Garvey and a sail-powered tonging boat from the early 1900s.

Gallery owner J. Russell Jinishian will give a talk on ‘Maritime Art of Yesterday and Today’ at 6 p.m. Thursday, June 18. Mr. Jinishian is the author of “Bound for Blue Water,” a guide to contemporary marine art, and the publisher of Marine Art News.

Admission to each event is $5 for nonmembers and free for members and includes entry to the exhibits. An RSVP is requested; call 727-2881, ext. 106.

• A showing of paintings by Dolores Castrucci of Southold opens Friday, June 12, with a reception from 5 to 7 p.m., at Town and Country Real Estate on Main Road in Southold. According to a release, Ms. Castrucci’s passion is painting “en plein aire” to “capture the visual poetry of seas, earth and sky.” Her latest works are described as “earth paintings” — compositions that incorporate textures such as sand, grass and seeds.

• Applications are being accepted for an intensive nine-week, tuition-free soul and R&B vocal ensemble workshop for high school musicians this fall. The East End Arts’ Music Masters Fellowship Program will be led by professional vocalist Anastasia René, accompanied by pianist Mark Mancini. Singers ages 14-18 are welcome to apply.

Sessions will be held Monday evenings, Sept. 28 to Nov. 30, at East End Arts School in Riverhead. A performance will be held Tuesday, Dec. 1. There are no fees.

The deadline to apply is July 17. Students must submit an online application at eastendarts.org (go to Events), along with a recorded performance sample. For more information and the online application, go to eastendarts.org under School. Contact Diane Giardi at 369-2171 or dgiardi@eastendarts.org.

• Student string musicians are invited to play in East End Arts’ third annual student orchestra collaborative project with the Perlman Music Program. Violin, viola, cello or double bass players ages 8-18 may participate in an open rehearsal conducted by Itzhak Perlman alongside the Perlman Music Program String Orchestra at 5:30 p.m. Thursday, July 30. The venue has not yet been determined.

A series of rehearsals will take place at East End Arts in Riverhead Mondays, July 13, 20 and 27, with a mandatory full rehearsal Wednesday, July 29, all from 4 to 6 p.m.

There are no auditions, but students must be registered by Friday, July 10. Go to eastendarts.org under School. For information, call 369-2171 or email education@eastendarts.org.

Butterfly photography by Patrick Haggerty is on view through June at Southold Free Library.

To send arts news, email lsisson@timesreview.com, fax to 298-3287 or mail to Times/Review Newspapers, P.O. Box 1500, Mattituck, NY 11952.

06/11/15 12:45pm
06/11/2015 12:45 PM

Local teen actors and actresses were in for a special treat at Sunday’s Teeny Awards at Center Moriches High School. Not only did the area’s bright young stars get recognized for their hard work on the stage at the annual awards ceremony, but a couple of big names made a virtual drop-in to announce some of the awards firsthand. (more…)

06/07/15 6:00am
06/07/2015 6:00 AM

Linda Winter, of Bagel Lady Cafe, hosts an annual “Get Your Pink On Gala” to support the Long Island 2 Day Walk to Fight Breast Cancer. Her most recent event at Shoreham Country Club was not only tremendous fun, it raised $17,800. You can still help Linda reach her goal for 2015 ($18,000) by making a contribution to the large jar by the cash register at Sassy Salads & Bagels in the Shoreham Plaza on Route 25A or by handing her a check. Good luck in reaching your goal and God bless you, Linda.  (more…)