11/23/14 12:00pm
11/23/2014 12:00 PM
SCCC, Thankgiving, Culinary Arts School in Riverhead

Culinary students Stacey Green (left) and Chadrick Brittan carving up turkeys at last year’s event. (Credit: Barbaraellen Koch, file)

Suffolk County Community College’s Culinary Arts Institute wants to make it a bit easier for community members to enjoy their Thanksgiving — especially those who don’t foresee cooking as an option.

Forty students and chefs from the college’s Culinary Arts program are offering up their skills next week to provide meals for long-term patients and homebound seniors across the East End.

(more…)

11/21/14 6:00am
11/21/2014 6:00 AM
The first performance of 'Godspell' is scheduled for Friday at the (Credit: Katharine Schroeder)

Performances of ‘Godspell’ are scheduled for Friday and Saturday at the Jamesport Meeting House. (Credit: Katharine Schroeder)

“Godspell” is a musical retelling of the Gospel According to Matthew, in which Jesus shares parables with his followers. It seems fitting, then, that this year’s annual production by Riverhead Faculty and Community Theatre — temporarily homeless due to renovations at the high school — would land in the historic Jamesport Meeting House, which has its own history of religious services and has had numerous “resurrections” of its own over the last 275 years.  (more…)

11/21/14 6:00am

Happy Thanksgiving! I know I’m a week early but since I don’t have a column next week I wanted to send well wishes to you and your family. I can’t wait to host this year! My daughter will be home from college, my family will be here and all will be right in my world for that one day. I hope you get to spend the day with those you love.  (more…)

11/20/14 7:00am
11/20/2014 7:00 AM

Joan Davis of Riverhead turned 75 on Nov. 15. She celebrated Nov. 8 at a party held in her honor at Riverhead Polish Hall. The event included DJ music, dancing and several party games. Partygoers included her two sisters, five brothers, her uncle, grandchildren, one great-grandchild and a host of other family members and friends. Joan said she had an absolutely wonderful time. She especially enjoyed watching Rose and Joe Czulada dance the polka!  (more…)

11/17/14 12:00pm
11/17/2014 12:00 PM
(Credit: Suffolk County Historical Society)

(Credit: Suffolk County Historical Society)

Most people are familiar with the story of Helen Keller, the blind and deaf girl who learned how to communicate with the help of her beloved teacher, Anne Sullivan. Fewer know that as an adult Ms. Keller traveled around the country delivering inspirational lectures.  (more…)