02/08/15 10:00am
Suffolk County Historical Society executive director Kathy Curran addresses participants Saturday at the annual meeting of the Association of Suffolk County Historical Societies in Riverhead. (Credit Rachel Young)

Suffolk County Historical Society executive director Kathy Curran addresses participants Saturday at the annual meeting of the Association of Suffolk County Historical Societies in Riverhead. (Credit Rachel Young)

How does a historical society keep from becoming history itself? It was a question on the minds of about 40 local historians Saturday morning in Riverhead.

The historians gathered in the main exhibition gallery of Suffolk County Historical Society for the annual meeting of the Association of Suffolk County Historical Societies.

“What’s going to happen if we don’t get the next generation in the door?” said Dr. Georgette Grier-Key, the ASCHS vice president. “That is the biggest problem. There is definitely a generational gap.” (more…)

02/08/15 6:00am

“I think, therefore I am.” French philosopher René Descartes (1596-1650) said so. In 2015 no doubt he’d have to say, “I shop, therefore I am.” What’s life without shopping malls and special deals and crowds rushing from their hastily parked cars into the welcoming doors of mega stores? Once inside, ah, you can breathe better in that air-conditioned bargain land. Aimless and down, now alive, hope in your heart. Anxiety, too. Better be early before anyone else grabs that shiny four-slice toaster on sale, today only. (more…)

02/07/15 7:00am
02/07/2015 7:00 AM

As I sit here on Sunday night not really watching the Super Bowl because my team, the Green Bay Packers, isn’t playing, I’m reading all about another winter storm that may hit our area tonight into Monday. I am not happy with this news because I hate winter and being cold, also because it means another few days of driving on icy, slick roads. I’m hoping this storm isn’t as bad as last week’s. (more…)

02/06/15 10:00am
Suffolk County Historical Society's 'Black History Through the Eyes of Dolls' will be on display through March 7. (Courtesy photo)

Suffolk County Historical Society’s ‘Black History Through the Eyes of Dolls’ will be on display through March 7. (Courtesy photo)

Miniature versions of influential African-American figures like abolitionist Harriet Tubman and President Barack Obama are among the 200 dolls on view through March 7 at Suffolk County Historical Society’s latest exhibit, “Black History Through the Eyes of Dolls.” (more…)