10/10/14 6:00am

October is upon us, friends and neighbors. Time to put those flip-flops away. This time of year, although beautiful, always makes me very sad. Most of you know how I feel about the cold, wind and snow; I can’t stand it. I’ll admit, a good snowstorm that doesn’t cause a power outage is always nice around the holidays, but the many months of dealing with snow, ice and whipping wind — yuck!  (more…)

10/09/14 7:00am
10/09/2014 7:00 AM

Pat and John Kurpetski recently visited their son, John Henry, and grandson, Logan, in Florida. They dined, raced go-karts (Logan took first place), played miniature golf and fed alligators. Logan also got to practice his golf swing at the driving range. John Henry and John went fishing a few times and John caught a three-foot gar. Although it rained for most of their vacation, it did not dampen their spirits. They truly enjoyed each other’s company. Naturally, John and Pat can’t wait to visit them again and do all the fun things that grandparents do with their grandchildren.

(more…)

10/07/14 11:57am
10/07/2014 11:57 AM
Vivian Bell, right, with her daughter, Catherine Smith, at Ms. Bell's 100th birthday party in 2012. (Credit: Grant Parpan, file)

Vivian Bell, right, with her daughter, Catherine Smith, at Ms. Bell’s 100th birthday party in 2012. (Credit: Grant Parpan, file)

At her 100th birthday party outside Living Water Church in Aquebogue in August 2012, Vivian Bell was the liveliest person in the tent.

She sang. She danced. She hugged. She kissed.

“She’s the happiest person I’ve ever met in my life,” said Ms. Bell’s great-grandson, Ty Wilson, 25, of Wyandanch. “She has the energy of a much younger person.”

Ms. Bell, who was born Vivian Lenore Richardson, exhibited that exuberance right up until the end. She died Sunday afternoon at the age of 102.  (more…)